Top 50 Places to have a Beer in America

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryser2k

Reaction score
# 1 = The Moan and Dove (Amherst, MA)
# 2 = The Publick House (Brookline, MA)
# 3 = Spuyten Duyvil (Brooklyn, NY)
# 4 = Toronado (San Francisco, CA)
# 5 = The Map Room (Chicago, IL)
# 6 = Cock & Bull Pub (Sarasota, FL)
# 7 = Papago Brewing (Scottsdale, AZ)
# 8 = O'Brien's Pub (San Diego, CA)
# 9 = Stuffed Sandwich (San Gabriel, CA)
# 10 = Capital Ale House (Richmond, VA)
# 11 = D's Six Pax & Dogz (Swissvale, PA)
# 12 = Mahar's Public Bar (Albany, NY)
# 13 = Selin's Grove Brewing Company (Selinsgrove, PA)
# 14 = Capital Ale House At Innsbrook (Glen Allen, VA)
# 15 = Brick Store Pub (Decatur, GA)
# 16 = Dilly Deli Wines and Gourmet (Mariemont, OH)
# 17 = Russian River Brewing Company (Santa Rosa, CA)
# 18 = Monk's Cafe (Philadelphia, PA)
# 19 = Rich O's Public House (New Albany, IN)
# 20 = Southampton Publick House (Southampton, NY)
# 21 = Hopleaf Bar (Chicago, IL)
# 22 = Naja's Place (Redondo Beach, CA)
# 23 = Sharp Edge Creekhouse (Pittsburgh, PA)
# 24 = The Alchemist Pub & Brewery (Waterbury, VT)
# 25 = The Linwood Grill (Boston, MA)
# 26 = The Blind Pig Co. (Champaign, IL)
# 27 = Kuhnhenn Brewing Company (Warren, MI)
# 28 = Ludwig's Garten (Philadelphia, PA)
# 29 = Great Lakes Brewing Company (Cleveland, OH)
# 30 = Liars Club (San Diego, CA)
# 31 = Willimantic Brewing Co. / Main Street Café (Willimantic, CT)
# 32 = Freakin Frog (Las Vegas, NV)
# 33 = Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Madison, WI)
# 34 = Three Floyds Brewery & Pub (Munster, IN)
# 35 = Falling Rock Tap House (Denver, CO)
# 36 = Mugs Ale House (Brooklyn, NY)
# 37 = Kclinger's Publik House (Etters, PA)
# 38 = The Great Lost Bear (Portland, ME)
# 39 = Tria (Philadelphia, PA)
# 40 = Pizza Port & Port Brewing Co. (Carlsbad, CA)
# 41 = Zeno's Pub (State College, PA)
# 42 = The Bier Garden (Portsmouth, VA)
# 43 = The Grey Lodge Pub (Philadelphia, PA)
# 44 = Brewer's Art (Baltimore, MD)
# 45 = The Drafting Room Taproom and Grille (Exton, PA)
# 46 = Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery (Minneapolis, MN)
# 47 = Victory Brewing Company (Downingtown, PA)
# 48 = Max's On Broadway (Baltimore, MD)
# 49 = Barcade (Brooklyn, NY)
# 50 = Pizza Port & Port Brewing Co. (Solana Beach, CA)

http://beeradvocate.com/acbw/2006/places

How many have you been to? :mug:

How did Capital Ale House get on there twice? The 2 places aren't that great. Nothing like paying $7 for a pint of domestic swill.

This list is completely subjective, I think Richbrau is a much better place to have a beer in Richmond.

EDIT: If selection is the only criteria then Capital Ale was a good choice. They have hundreds of beers but that is all that it has going for it.

This list may be subjective but the The Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA is awesome! They are opening up a place in Northampton, MA this summer as well.

Funny though The Brickskeller at Dupont Circle in Washington, DC is not listed nor is Redbones in Somerville, MA, which I would put up in my top ten beers bars in America.

homebrewer_99 said:
Well, I've been to almost everyone of those town's, but I've also missed everyone of those establishments.

Who's list (source) is that any way?:confused:

Um beer advocate. You missed everyone of those establishments? you asleep at the wheel?

I've never been to any of the places they mention in Cali, but I can tell you three sweet spots:

Father's Office, in Santa Monica: wall of taps, including multiple topnotch IPA's, belgian abbey tripels (Westmalle on tap, for instance)--and a kickbutt hamburger.

The Library Alehouse: another wall of taps, including the best of Europe...Paulaner, Belgian Abbey's, etc.

Hero's in Fullerton: cool casual atmosphere, Lindeman's Framboise on tap for $5 a pint, Fuller's ESB and Pale, Hoegaarden, Paulaner, SchneiderWeisse, Fransciskaner, Anderson's IPA, and about 200 other micro and craft taps--plus cask beer!

glibbidy said:
This list may be subjective but the The Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA is awesome! They are opening up a place in Northampton, MA this summer as well.

Wow, how did I miss the Moan and Dove when I've been in Amherst? Where is that? Usually we went out to the ABC, never heard of the Moan and Dove (and the buddies I was hanging out with were definately greater beer connoisseurs than I, at least at the time)

As to Northampton, nothing better in the world than the Tunnel Bar, although it's more of a cigar-and-martini joint than a place to have a beer. For those of us who enjoy a fine smoke (I can't be the only one around here), no place in the world that's any finer. Of course, the combination of moving to the nether-reaches of FAR-WESTERN MA, having some Amherst-based buddies move away, and having a kidling has meant that haven't been able to get back there in ages.... but damn, that place was nice.

the_bird said:
Wow, how did I miss the Moan and Dove when I've been in Amherst? Where is that?

As to Northampton, nothing better in the world than the Tunnel Bar

The Moan and Dove is located on West St. in Amherst. It is on the southern fringe of Amhrest, in fact it's practically in South Hadley. Moan and Dove is striclty beer, You won't find much to eat if anything here. I would recommend coming with a designated babysitter, er...I mean driver :drunk:

ABC is overated, but let's face it they have decent food, and they are located in downtown Amherst, MA which is a plus.

Ah the tunnel bar, yes nice atmosphere, albeit smokey. Fairly decent selection of imports, and local beer. cushy leather chairs!:p

Brewpastor said:
Billy's Longbar in Albuquerque.
How about Il Vicino? or that place a few doors down from Il Vicino

ryser2k said:

so far, only 5....

Ah, those leather chairs! Absolutely melt into them...

Is there another brew-pub place in Amherst, as well? We went out for brunch of all things at some place with all kinds of brewing equipment. At the time, though, I didn't know my way around Amherst, so I have no clue where we were (other than we weren't downtown). Never got the chance to make it back there for drinks, though. ABC was kind of the default choice in Amherst because the food was pretty damn good, although we generally went out in NoHo instead. Man, I miss being able to get to NoHo easily, used to live in Greenfield where it was a quick 20 minute drive, now it's a solid hour over the mountain... grr...

So where in "sunny southern vermont" are you located? Brattleboro-side or Bennington-side? I'm from the latter originally, and still not too far from there.

Lou said:
so far, only 5....

I've been to Monk's, Zeno's, and Victory. Zeno's is a cool place to go if you ever make a trip up to State College. Same "hole in the wall" kind of feel as Monk's.

ryser2k said:
I've been to Monk's, Zeno's, and Victory. Zeno's is a cool place to go if you ever make a trip up to State College. Same "hole in the wall" kind of feel as Monk's.
:off: i was in state college 2 summers ago for a conference one weekend. that place is pretty dead in the summer.
wound up at the fyrst on a saturday night. crazy place.

Lou said:
:off: i was in state college 2 summers ago for a conference one weekend. that place is pretty dead in the summer.
wound up at the fyrst on a saturday night. crazy place.

It the Rathskeller still open in state college? That place is well worth a visit.

glibbidy said:
It the Rathskeller still open in state college? That place is well worth a visit.
it was in summer 04 when i was there. i spent a couple hours in there... IIRC, we had a case of rolling rock delivered to our table...

YES!!! #7 Papago Brewery is my regular bar. Lots of local homebrewers have their beers on tap there. One of the best porters I have ever had was from a local guy in Snobsdale.....um Scottsdale

Zero for me so far. I'll have to make it to #22 = Naja's Place (Redondo Beach, CA) and see how it fares. I know the local HB club meets there.

ryser2k said:
Oops, forgot the question at hand.:D
# 1 = The Moan and Dove (Amherst, MA)
# 4 = Toronado (San Francisco, CA)
# 35 = Falling Rock Tap House (Denver, CO)
# 38 = The Great Lost Bear (Portland, ME)
# 41 = Zeno's Pub (State College, PA)

uhhhh.....a few forgotten places i see here....basically at the top of any backcountry ski tour before getting ready to rip it down the mountain, how about the beach, or next to my tent or a campfire wherever that maybe, i acn think of ten places i'd rather drink a beer other than my absolute most favorite bar, which isn't on the list.

and i have been to a grand total of one place, the falling rock taphouse in denver.

Back