Recipe Request: First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Well, the time has come, my first beer brewed solely by me and I need a recipe or two from you fine folks here. What I’m looking for is a good, cheap (around $30 in materials), and fast (done fermenting in a week, sit in bottles for a week) recipe for a partial mash ale. I’m thinking maybe a Brown Ale or a Hefe but not an IPA (I’m slowly building my hop tolerance and don’t want to do an overly hoppy Stone Ruination clone just yet). Thanks very much in advance and sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. :drunk:

Dude, there isn't a quality recipe that I can think of that is going to give you that kind of quick turn around. For most mid- and low- gravity beers, you can follow the 1-2-3 rule of thumb, meaning a week in primary, 2 in secondary and 3 in the bottle (or 3 in primary, 3 in the bottle).

This hobby is all about patience.

Well, the time has come, my first beer brewed solely by me and I need a recipe or two from you fine folks here. What I’m looking for is a good, cheap (around $30 in materials), and fast (done fermenting in a week, sit in bottles for a week) recipe for a partial mash ale. I’m thinking maybe a Brown Ale or a Hefe but not an IPA (I’m slowly building my hop tolerance and don’t want to do an overly hoppy Stone Ruination clone just yet). Thanks very much in advance and sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. :drunk:

time line is a bit short. another week or two would make it better. you could make a hefe (just 6lbs of wheat DME and 1oz of hersbrucker (0.5 at 60, 0.5 at 15) - use the wiehenstephan yeast if it fits the budget. depends how quickly your bottles condition - i recently made a batch that conditioned in less than a week (but it'd been 2 weeks in primary).

PS: also check out olllllo's mild ale thread - that stuff is ready quickly - just don't tell your mates they are drinking "mild" beer.

An Irish Red Ale would be very tastey and easy brew. Although the 1-2-3 is probably still in effect.

The English brown in my pulldown menu is quick and easy. You could ferment it for 14 days, and then bottle it up. If you use a dry flocculant yeast like Nottingham, it should clear quickly. It's an extract, but it could easily be changed to a PM recipe if you want.

A hefe was already mentioned, and that's also a good choice, but it'd be extract, not PM.

I think in this thread someone stated brew day to glass in 10-14 days...If you have a keg system

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/
Well, I've decided to go with this one but have a few questions. It says to use Nottingham yeast but I don't have that available, what should I use instead: click here for what I have available.

Also, I am wondering about the "Pale Malt (2 Row)" as to what I should use (I'm taking that is the extract?) . Here is what I have available to me.

And lastly, how much and what type of sugar should I use for bottling?

You have selected an all grain recipe. There is no extract in it. IMHO, you have bit off more than you can chew for a first recipe. Find an extract hefeweizen recipe that uses no more than two kinds of extract and one hops addition.

As a general rule of thumb, prime with 1 oz of dextrose per gallon.

Read How to Brew - By John Palmer (twice). It will help immensely.

Well, I've decided to go with this one but have a few questions. It says to use Nottingham yeast but I don't have that available, what should I use instead: click here for what I have available.

Also, I am wondering about the "Pale Malt (2 Row)" as to what I should use (I'm taking that is the extract?) . Here is what I have available to me.

And lastly, how much and what type of sugar should I use for bottling?

Replace the 2 row with 4.5lbs DME or 6lbs LME and steep the other grains at 155F for 45 minutes. For yeast use any high atten. British or American strain.

You have selected an all grain recipe.
D'oH!

Replace the 2 row with 4.5lbs DME or 6lbs LME and steep the other grains at 155F for 45 minutes. For yeast use any high atten. British or American strain.
And this will make it a partial mash recipe then since I'm using the malt extract? Sorry for the questions....first time and all.

OT:

What kind of guitar god are you? Here's my Mjollnir lOL:
newtele2-1.jpg

IGG'S A NOOB!!!!! BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*SORRY BUT WE GO WAY BACK...WELL....SORTA WAY BACK, ON A PEPPER GROWING FORUM WHERE HE IS SOMETHING OF A MASTER. IT IS NICE TO SEE HIM NOOBING IT UP*

I won't divulge what liberties he took with the recipe, but rest assured that I have given him a proportional amount of crap over it;).

IGG'S A NOOB!!!!! BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*SORRY BUT WE GO WAY BACK...WELL....SORTA WAY BACK, ON A PEPPER GROWING FORUM WHERE HE IS SOMETHING OF A MASTER. IT IS NICE TO SEE HIM NOOBING IT UP*

I won't divulge what liberties he took with the recipe, but rest assured that I have given him a proportional amount of crap over it;).

I know I know, first recipe should be followed....but I like experimenting (on multiple areas too...just ask cheezy about my psychadelic experimentations...) So I figured bump up the hops, make it darker. So instead of a blonde I'll get a burnete.....is that really a bad thing? :drunk:

Back