What do I train my hop bines onto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've set up my hop garden with a central pole arrangement and I'm going to train the bines up to the pole from hop hills 10-12ft spaced out around the base. My question is, being even more of a novice in the garden than I am in the brewhouse, what to use for the lines up to the top of the poles? I got some "training wire' from home depot yesterday but it's very still wire that can be bent into shape - I'm thinking that's not the ticket for this job - any thoughts? I also picked up some jute twine, that looks more like the right sort of thing, but is it substantial enough to support the bines when they get going, and, maybe next year, start bearing some flowers?

Thanks for any ideas!

cd2448 said:
Hi all,

I've set up my hop garden with a central pole arrangement and I'm going to train the bines up to the pole from hop hills 10-12ft spaced out around the base. My question is, being even more of a novice in the garden than I am in the brewhouse, what to use for the lines up to the top of the poles? I got some "training wire' from home depot yesterday but it's very still wire that can be bent into shape - I'm thinking that's not the ticket for this job - any thoughts? I also picked up some jute twine, that looks more like the right sort of thing, but is it substantial enough to support the bines when they get going, and, maybe next year, start bearing some flowers?

Thanks for any ideas!

Freshops.com
https://commerce.peak.org/vh/f/fres...plate=Templates/merchandise_storebuilder.html
Hop Twine. 1 item contains I think 5 lengths of 20ft. I ordered 5 I think just bc they are cheap and I think im gonna do 2 ropes per rhyzome.

homebrewer_99 said:
I use "sisal"...available at Wallyworld and other fine establishments...:D

Two weekends ago I had dried dirt. Last weekend my hops were sprouting from 3-14".

This week some of them are about waist high.

As did I. Got it from Home Depot for $5 for 50 ft. I bought 2 since I have a wierd setup and don't want to find out in july I needed a longer piece.

This stuff is perfect, about as thick as a pinky finger so will easily hold the weight of the bines, and even more important IMO is it is very rough textured. Some of the twine I was looking at seemed to be too smooth, while this stuff will allow for a firm grip for the bines to hold on to. Other thing is sisal apparently has very good protection from the elements (sun/water/etc.) so hopefully I can use it for more than one season. Smells awful though. :)

Hemp rope would also be another good alternative.... heh its using something from the same family :p

DeadDoc said:
Hemp rope would also be another good alternative.... heh its using something from the same family :p

lol, very nice :)

I have some Butcher's twine... though it is skinny, would it still work if I intertwined them a bit to thicken the rope?

Back