American Lager West Coast Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 2112 California Lager
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 55°
My intention was to brew up something that my SWMBO and BMC drinking friends would enjoy. I wanted a light lager with a some actual flavor, and I wanted to use Cascade hops to set it apart from the standard Pils (hence the West Coast name). So far it's been a big hit. The SWMBO liked it (and even drank a couple!). All of my BMC buddies have liked it and even one is ready to give homebrewing a try after drinking this one. Definitely a very quaffable session brew but with enough flavor and hop character to actually be enjoyed. This batch was extract, but I plan to do an all grain version next.

5 gal Extract batch:
---------------------------------------------------------
1lb - 40L Carmel Malt (Steep for 20 min @ 150)
3 lb - Briess Pilsen DME
1lb - Honey

.33 oz Cascade (60min)
.33 oz Cascade (20min)
.33 oz Cascade (flameout)

Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast (58°-68°)

prime with 5oz. corn sugar.

Starting Gravity - 1.036
Final Gravity - 1.008
ABV - 3.8
---------------------------------------------------------

I initially had the primary in my basement, but at 55° fermentation was very slow. I brought it upstairs to 65°. Fermentation fired right up and was active for 12 days. racked to secondary after 14 days (1.010). Secondary was brought back down to basement at 55° for another 14 days (1.008). Prime with corn sugar and bottle carb at 65° for 2 weeks.

Sample at bottling was crystal clear, but now I have a little chill haze out of the bottle. I'll try a little gelatin in the secondary next time to battle that. Head retention is on the low side, but not out of the ordinary for a low gravity beer. I'll use a little Carapils in my all grain version to help this out. Even though the total IBU's (9) are low it is still well balanced with the low gravity and I have no plans on upping the IBU next time. I may however try a different hop for bittering next time, and just use the cascade for flavor and finish.
:mug:

Looks like a tasty summer beverage. Next up for me is a citrus weizen recipe from here, but this one looks perfect for brew #3! Did you have any problems with the color being a bit dark with the DME?

No not at all. Actually the color came out a little lighter than I expected it. I thought that the Carmel malt would make a pale amber, but all it did was give it a more golden color over what the standard Pils malt would have given. The Wort actually started out a little amber coming out of the boil pot, but by bottling time it had mellowed out to a golden yellow. There was actually quite a bit of color difference between my post boil sample and my post secondary sample.

Also, I really like the Wyeast 2112. Like the description says, it makes a brilliantly clear beer. I'll probably try some Safelager dry yeast on my next batch.

hello how are ya hope you are still on. I plan on making this in a couple of days. I was wondering how long you let the brew sit in bottles before consuming. Also, at what temp did you lager the bottles at?

I love Cascade hop recipies. I made a pretty good ale with bullion and cascade. it tastes great

I just brewed this but I used centennial hops (a little more than recommended) and White Labs Cry Havoc yeast.The wort was darker than I expected so I am glad that the color mellows. I will repost when its ready. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

How long before you considered it was too long of a lag time that you brought it upstairs? I just did my first lager in the basement w/swamp cooler and i think it took a day or two before i seen any foam. I didnt know what to expect since it is bottom fermenting,so i didnt know i would see foam. I used s-23 dry lager yeast.I find it strange that descriptively there are more esters at lower ferm temps than would be at higher ale temps.Is this the same with Cali liquid. Are these similar or is s-23 more english?

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I've got 4 brews under my belt but all ales so far, and I plan on brewing a batch of this pilsner next. One question though... when did you add the honey? At the beginning of the boil?

I absolutely want to try this... Only used extracts so far so it will be a big jump for me... Anything I need to know??? :)

I brewed this and just tried it tonight. I am very happy and relieved. It's the lightest beer I've done and I tasted it at bottling time after adding carb sugar and it was sickenly sweet, but 15 days later is quite good. The only difference was I used White Labs San Fran yeast. Thanks for the good recipe. This is a good one for new brewers with a kit or two under their belts to try and move away from the kits with the exception of the added complexity of liquid yeast and starters. I'm sure it would be great with Danstar Nottingham too.

Latest posts

Back