American IPA Phased Out IPA (All Grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCollins

Reaction score
This was my first foray into all grain and it turned out to be a winner. Its very basic at its core, and is great for a first timer...I was going for an IPA with heavy citrus/floral notes, with a hint of sweet maltiness on the finish. I think I achieved that. It has a nice color, and when it hits your mouth (for my palate) it provides a great mouth feel with well balanced bitterness/sweetness. Every time I pop a cap and smell that beautiful hoppiness it puts a smile on my face, and makes me forget that we are transitioning to Fall.

Cheers,
Tim

PS- The name comes from being "Phased" out at work building this recipe, and only thinking about the the next brew day to come....

Phased Out IPA

Recipe specifics:

Style: American IPA

Batch size: 5.0 gal

Boil volume: 6.5 gal

OG: 1.066

FG: 1.016

Bitterness (IBU): 75.0

Color (SRM): 6.4

ABV: 6.5%

Grain/Sugars:

11.40 lb Two-row (US)
0.50 lb Crystal 40L
0.50 lb CaraPils

Hops:

1.00 oz Citra Pellet- 60 min
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet- 30 min
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet - 2 min
2.00 oz Citra Pellet- Dry hop

Yeast/Misc:

Yeast 1 pkg SafAle US-05

Whirlfloc- Boil 10 min.

Recipe Notes:

4.00 ounces of corn sugar
Bottle Cold

Mash @ 152 for 60 min

Batch Notes:
1 week primary, 1 week secondary (w/dry hop)

Brought up to 70 degrees for 2-3-days near the end of ferm, then cold crashed for 1 week.

2-3 weeks at room temp to fully carb.

Looks pretty good, Tim. I do like the simple recipes. I'll give a go and let you know!
Rob

Please do! I'm definately a proponent of simplicity. I'd say overall it could be even further simplified by not cold crashing which will save a week if you are bottling. It ended up having a little chill/hop haze but is well within the tolerance of the style...the combination of hops is quite tasty. Let me know how it goes!

Yeah this is such a great, refreshing IPA. So happy with how it turned out!

Hey, brewed this yesterday as my 2nd AG. Had a bit of a lower strike temperature (150f). Can't wait to pop that first bottle. Thanks a ton.

Big thanks for this recipe!!!

Served this beer at our local beer festival and people went wild over it! So much so that the owner of our local brew pup came over to me and wants to do a tasting with his team of this beer.

Thanks a ton.

Latest posts

Back