Fermentation/Blow-off Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
So my Ruination clone (1.080 OG) that I brewed Saturday (pitched around 6pm), is in the carboy, and fermentation took off very quickly, and seems to be going well. Given the OG, I used a blow-off tube, which I have done many times before. I pitched a starter of 001, and decided to pitched another vial (so 2 vials 001, 1 with starter).

There is no bubble activity in the pitcher filled with star san. I'm not overly concerned (or concerned at all) given the fermentation seems to be going well. I guess I am just surprised that it isn't more of a "violent" fermentation. No bubbling, or krausen in blow off, as I have seen before.

My thinking is that since there is probably close to 2 gallons of head space + the large tubing (and length), that there just isn't enough pressure to bubble. Is this a fair assumption? My paranoid side worries that there is leak, or the clamp is pinching...(Doesn't seem to be the case)

Just thought it was interesting. (pics attached)

Ruination#1.jpg

Ruination#2.jpg

Ruination#3.jpg

MrEggSandwich said:
So my Ruination clone (1.080 OG) that I brewed Saturday (pitched around 6pm), is in the carboy, and fermentation took off very quickly, and seems to be going well. Given the OG, I used a blow-off tube, which I have done many times before. I pitched a starter of 001, and decided to pitched another vial (so 2 vials 001, 1 with starter).

There is no bubble activity in the pitcher filled with star san. I'm not overly concerned (or concerned at all) given the fermentation seems to be going well. I guess I am just surprised that it isn't more of a "violent" fermentation. No bubbling, or krausen in blow off, as I have seen before.

My thinking is that since there is probably close to 2 gallons of head space + the large tubing (and length), that there just isn't enough pressure to bubble. Is this a fair assumption? My paranoid side worries that there is leak, or the clamp is pinching...(Doesn't seem to be the case)

Just thought it was interesting. (pics attached)

Those caps suck. I had the exact same issue the second time I used the cap you are using. If you bend the hose connection even slightly, they don't seal airtight and hence you don't get bubbling through your blowoff tube. Replace the cap with a 1.25" blowoff tube and you will be good.

Btw there is plenty of pressure to bubble out your hose. Your cap isn't tight.

Try lifting the hose up higher and then see if anything comes through.

Back