Would a pump help slow sparges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
Im considering adding a pump to my AG system. Last week after sparging 7 gals my sparge slowed to a crawl (i only needed 1 more gallon :mad: ) It was tough as hell to get that last gallon out. Would a pump have sucked that last gallon easier?

No a pump wouldn't help. What I would do is drain what you can, start your boil, leave a pitcher or bowl or whatever under the MT drain and add that back as you are brewing.

Im considering adding a pump to my AG system. Last week after sparging 7 gals my sparge slowed to a crawl (i only needed 1 more gallon :mad: ) It was tough as hell to get that last gallon out. Would a pump have sucked that last gallon easier?

Increase the temperature of your splarge warter.

Easy answer: no.
What else are you doing? Do you have a dip tube? Are you using a hop strainer of some sort? Like tally said give us a little more info on your set-up and we would love to help. Something is stopping it, my guess is grain/hop buildup. Have a couple of solutions for you depending on your setup.

Back