Starting fermentation at 1032

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disasterjustavoided

Reaction score
I've just made a mild and totally miscalculated and it ended up OG 1032 with a slight adjusment for temp it might push up to 1034. My question is, will I end up with undrinkable beer at the low ABV (Expect 2.9%-3.1%)? Has anyone else made a beer this weak?

A mild is suposed to be mild but really, is this a step too far?

The taste is good at the moment, I used a extra dark crystal, a mix of chocolate and chocolate rye with some flaked barley and a base of maris o. Using fuggles at 60 mins.

I've just made a mild and totally miscalculated and it ended up OG 1032 with a slight adjusment for temp it might push up to 1034. My question is, will I end up with undrinkable beer at the low ABV (Expect 2.9%-3.1%)? Has anyone else made a beer this weak?

A mild is suposed to be mild but really, is this a step too far?

The taste is good at the moment, I used a extra dark crystal, a mix of chocolate and chocolate rye with some flaked barley and a base of maris o. Using fuggles at 60 mins.

I believe that is in the desired range for a mild. Was it AG or extract? You have more control with AG but if it's extract, ferment it cool and and test often to ensure you hit your desired FG. Your biggest problem may be too much attenuation and you end up with a very dry/thin beer.

I made orfy's mild mannered ale with an OG of 1.035 and it was a very drinkable brew. Reminded me of a mellow porter - chocolate, roastiness, low carbonation. Great little brew - easy drinking.

Well fingers crossed then, will report back! (and thanks for repies)

It's an AG brew. I'll turn down the radiators in the room its in and hope no-one notices!

I've had beer brewed to 2.5% before and it was terrible which is half the reason I asked. However, this was a "dutch" lager made especially for a UK supermarket 20 years ago (I drank it 20 years ago too, it wasn't terrible as it was two decades old).

Well, I need not have worried. This beer is delicous!

81.7% Pale malt
6.1% Extra Dark Crystal (340 EBC)
4.9% Flaked Barley
4.9% Chocolate malt
2.4% Chocolate Rye

Mash for 60min at 66c (154f).

Fuggles at 60 min

IBU 16.2

Fermented two batches one with Yorkshire Square WLP0037 and one with Notts. Both have great qualities and pitching the yeasts against each other really shows off the differences. I would use Notts again on this beer, not that the yorkshire wasn't good, but given the availibility and the chepness of Notts there wasn't enough of a decernable difference.

Back