Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaronimo said:
Lower manhattan is long overdue for some flooding. Hope it doesn't get the White Horse Tavern on bridge street, or I will have to find another place to meet my buddy for lunch once a month.

I watched a Discovery channel show about a hurricane hitting manhattan at high tide. The outcome was not pretty.

I played darts out of that bar for many years. Still love going there.

Wind is still real bad here on staten island. We evacuated to my parents house and i heard my house is under water. Power has been out snce about 6. Theres a tree down UP the street and another down DOWN the street so were isolated. Couldnt go anywhere even if i had the nads to drive. Sonny, ill drive by your place in the mornng when its safer. Hope all s well with you and everyone else gettin blown by sandy

Wind is still real bad here on staten island. We evacuated to my parents house and i heard my house is under water. Power has been out snce about 6. Theres a tree down UP the street and another down DOWN the street so were isolated. Couldnt go anywhere even if i had the nads to drive. Sonny, ill drive by your place in the mornng when its safer. Hope all s well with you and everyone else gettin blown by sandy

Wow! That sucks! Sorry to hear it. :(

Once the winds die out completely I'm wondering if there are any official volunteering efforts I can be a part of.

My neighborhood, and myself in particular, have been pretty lucky two years in a row.

Dramatically calmer here this morning. Still windy and raining, but far from what it was. Still without power, might be for a while.

I'm an hour southwest of you in Culpeper, VA and it peaked at 45 mph wind gusts at 12:00am Tuesday morning...Now at 8am Tuesday it's just like a normal cloudy, drizzly day. Never even had a power hiccup. My prayers are with those in the flood zones. Be safe.

my parents in a northern philly suburb have been w/o power since yesterday afternoon.. my dad just got back trying 3 gas stations, all empty.. here in central PA looks like we missed a lot of it.. my thoughts are out to you who weren't as lucky

my parents in a northern philly suburb have been w/o power since yesterday afternoon.. my dad just got back trying 3 gas stations, all empty.. here in central PA looks like we missed a lot of it.. my thoughts are out to you who weren't as lucky

Any news from the Chester Springs/Pottstown/Downingtown area? My inlaws are out there...

Total devastation in my neighborhood, it's crazy. I have 4 friends who lost everything, possibly going to have to rebuild thier homes. Thankfully it looks like all we're losing is our food. I'm so grateful. Having a beer now, have to go back in at 7. I saw things last night that I'll never forget for sure. Prayers to everyone who's been affected and lost family, friends, pets, and homes.

Airborneguy said:
Total devastation in my neighborhood, it's crazy. I have 4 friends who lost everything, possibly going to have to rebuild thier homes. Thankfully it looks like all we're losing is our food. I'm so grateful. Having a beer now, have to go back in at 7. I saw things last night that I'll never forget for sure. Prayers to everyone who's been affected and lost family, friends, pets, and homes.

Pics don't seem to do the devastation justice...I have been a many natural disasters restoring power and am always amazed at how much worse if is walking in it as opposed to how it looks on the news,weather channel,etc!

I've been 'there' many times and it sucks to deal with the aftermath. I lost my business in Katrina, my in laws and brother lost their homes and it's extremely depressing and you feel totally alone. But you're not. You'll see the good in so many people as they help get things back. Its slow and scum will still be around to do their crap but by far, neighbors help neighbors and families help each other.
Good luck to all who have to deal with this.

In '05 I volunteered and was on my way south with only 2 hours notice. Spent two weeks in Westwego, LA and Jefferson Parish. I'm going to use that experience to get through this. I'm just so glad my family is okay. My mother probably has massive damage at her second house, but we won't get worked up about a vacation home (even if she's only owned it for a month!)

Beer-lord said:
I've been 'there' many times and it sucks to deal with the aftermath. I lost my business in Katrina, my in laws and brother lost their homes and it's extremely depressing and you feel totally alone. But you're not. You'll see the good in so many people as they help get things back. Its slow and scum will still be around to do their crap but by far, neighbors help neighbors and families help each other.
Good luck to all who have to deal with this.

So true, the worst I've saw was the damage after the tornadoes in Tuscaloosa and it was also the most I saw neighborhoods come together. They never stop working to help each other regardless of their personal loss and after 8 days they found 12 survivors in the basement of a leveled church....very touching! The scum will always be there but the good will always outweigh the bad in my opinion.

In '05 I volunteered and was on my way south with only 2 hours notice. Spent two weeks in Westwego, LA and Jefferson Parish. I'm going to use that experience to get through this. I'm just so glad my family is okay. My mother probably has massive damage at her second house, but we won't get worked up about a vacation home (even if she's only owned it for a month!)
I live in Jefferson Parish and though we weren't hardest hit, I and countless others are very thankful for your unselfish help as well as others.

I is not looking too bad so far in NYC. My sis just posted pics of her on the boardwalk in Queens and the water is only 1/4 of the way to boardwalk. I know this is not the case everywhere. Stay safe everyone.

Correction. My hometown is pretty much Fcuked! Cars floating down the streets 80+ homes and businesses on fire. AFAIK my parents house has some basement flooding but it is hard to know due to power and cell phone issues.

No power, no flooding. So I guess its not too bad. They say 7-10 days for power.

In bed last night and the top row of vinyl siding on the house comes loose, about a six foot section. The wind is banging it against the house. I can see it out my bedroom window, its well under the eaves so don't really have to worry about water infiltration.

The wife can't sleep because the siding is noisy, so she tells me that I should go out there and fix it at 2am, so it does not get worse. 2 am, raining sideways, fifty mile an hour winds? There is now way I am climbing a ladder to fix that.

But then I start thinking, maybe I will get her to hold the ladder and flashlight. At least if I fall I can land on her to help cushion the fall?

No power, no flooding. So I guess its not too bad. They say 7-10 days for power.

In bed last night and the top row of vinyl siding on the house comes loose, about a six foot section. The wind is banging it against the house. I can see it out my bedroom window, its well under the eaves so don't really have to worry about water infiltration.

The wife can't sleep because the siding is noisy, so she tells me that I should go out there and fix it at 2am, so it does not get worse. 2 am, raining sideways, fifty mile an hour winds? There is now way I am climbing a ladder to fix that.

But then I start thinking, maybe I will get her to hold the ladder and flashlight. At least if I fall I can land on her to help cushion the fall?

That's quite possibly the worst idea ever. Were you to somehow dodge that vinyl siding from knocking your arse stupid and tack it down, you'd still have to content with the wicked wind on an friggin ladder. Pretty sure a super-industrial forklift or cherry picker would lose its boom, so what makes you think you could keep from flying away on a lightweight ladder? Not to mention were you to fall, it wouldn't be straight down. No doubt you would be swept off and a whole lot less likely to control your fall. Definitely not worth the risk just to get a little sleep.

My bro lives on the gulf coast and lost a neighbor because his roof started to cave and he thought he could shore it up during the storm. The story goes that he rigged his ladder on the leeward side of the house and tied it to an exposed eave to keep it from being swept away. The man managed to make it to the roof of his house but that was as far as he got before a branch from his tree snapped off and fell on the roof 2 feet away, destroying the ladder and that entire side of the roof. My bro couldn't see him after that but the man's wife found him lying face down on the back porch a few minutes later dead.

Well my wife and I certainly dodged a bullet here! Irene was much worse in our area, seems like Sandy spared us! Lots of wind, seemed to have picked up over the night, power surged, but no outage here. Things are starting to settle down today, no flooding, a few trees down. That's about it. Glad everything is okay, was prepared for a lot worse! Best wishes to everyone that was hit hard last night!

No flooding, no power loss, only 'disturbance' I encountered (other than rain/wind noise) was what it did (at times) to my DirecTV reception. Seriously thinking about going with another service once my contract is up (too expensive to switch until then). Will have to see how it is during winter storms. If it becomes more of an issue, they'll be hearing from me. :eek:

I did see a little water in the basement, by the bulkhead doors. I contribute that to the gap in the doors (going to get that addressed). Not sure if the basement pump was running at all yesterday/last night, since I didn't hear it at all. :rockin:

BTW, am I the only one that thinks people were getting twisted around their panties over this storm?? After all, it was just a category 1 hurricane. I lived through worse, hitting closer, when living in Florida.

BTW, am I the only one that thinks people were getting twisted around their panties over this storm?? After all, it was just a category 1 hurricane. I lived through worse, hitting closer, when living in Florida.

Lower Manhattan was underwater. The damage is absolutely massive. Nobody is getting "twisted around their panties". That is a disturbingly callous, obnoxious thing to say, considering how many lives, homes, and businesses were just destroyed. Sorry your DirectTV signal got interrupted.

Lower Manhattan was underwater. The damage is absolutely massive. Nobody is getting "twisted around their panties". That is a disturbingly callous, obnoxious thing to say, considering how many lives, homes, and businesses were just destroyed. Sorry your DirectTV signal got interrupted.

I lived through far worse, as mentioned, without issue. People were in a panic up here over it. IF I was in the direct path of it, I would have been more concerned.

BTW, I WAS referring to places that were NOT in the direct path of the eye of the storm. IME, anything short of that, for a cat. 1 storm, you can easily ride out. Of course, IF you live below sea level, you need to plan (and act) accordingly.

For the record, I've been through storms, in the "rainy season" in FL that produced more rain, wind, etc. I guess after living through that for about 12 years, what gets people scared (in the north east) doesn't. Also, I've seen more damage, up here, from a Nor'easter or just bad winter storm.

I'm on the other side of the country so I don't know how bad it is firsthand...but just because there has been worse doesn't mean it's not bad. Seems like other people posting here have been hit hard.

39 dead, going to be more. Over $20 Billion in property damage, going to be more.

Yea, sorry your TV didn't work as well as you hoped.

39 dead, going to be more. Over $20 Billion in property damage, going to be more.

Yea, sorry your TV didn't work as well as you hoped.

Call me what you want, with everything else going on in the world, this pales in comparison. At least that's my opinion on it. I HAVE been through bigger storms, that didn't get all this attention. They were closing highways even up here yesterday afternoon for it.

Golddiggie,
The difference between this storm and most gulf storms was the sheer size of it and the highly populated area that it impacted. Not to mention the infrastructure along the northern eastern seaboard is not prepared to withstand storms like these. I've been through several hurricanes on the gulf and they can get pretty damn wicked and screw a bunch of stuff up, but the infrastructure of the gulf and southern atlantic coast has those storms in mind and are much better prepared to withstand them. The population density is also considerably lower. It's kinda like a freak snowstorm in the south. If we get more than 2 inches here, everything shuts down because we just don't have the equipment, experience, or infrastructure to deal with it on a large and functional level. We can dig out enough to allow for emergency vehicles to pass safely and that's pretty much it. A few years ago we had 4 inches of snow and ice fall in 24hrs. It's nothing for most people, but it was downright dangerous for the general public here. There were more than a dozen fatalities in this area from MVAs in that week because some employers decided to open shop and people had to get out and drive in it to get to work. We deep southerners have NO business driving on snow and ice.

Golddiggie said:
Call me what you want, with everything else going on in the world, this pales in comparison. At least that's my opinion on it. I HAVE been through bigger storms, that didn't get all this attention. They were closing highways even up here yesterday afternoon for it.

I hate it when people think that because they've lived through other things that they can look down on people for what happened.... Florida may be used to hurricanes, but 2 years ago a quarter inch of frost **** the state down, killed people, and cost billions. Just like the west is used to earthquakes, but one in the mid Atlantic is a big deal still.

But as for over-reacting, maybe some areas did over prepare got an unpredictable storm system with a massive amount of energy (not just a hurricane, because there were other forces at work i.e. super low pressure, blizzard conditions, storm path, huge amounts of energy), it's why meteorologists have been going nuts over this one.

No one wants to get caught with their pants down by a storm in an area of the country not used to dealing with them, so better to over prepare and deal with a few a-holes who b*tch about their direct TV and their morning commute after they made it through safely.

Golddiggie,
The difference between this storm and most gulf storms was the sheer size of it and the highly populated area that it impacted. Not to mention the infrastructure along the northern eastern seaboard is not prepared to withstand storms like these. I've been through several hurricanes on the gulf and they can get pretty damn wicked and screw a bunch of stuff up, but the infrastructure of the gulf and southern atlantic coast has those storms in mind and are much better prepared to withstand them. The population density is also considerably lower. It's kinda like a freak snowstorm in the south. If we get more than 2 inches here, everything shuts down because we just don't have the equipment, experience, or infrastructure to deal with it on a large and functional level. We can dig out enough to allow for emergency vehicles to pass safely and that's pretty much it. A few years ago we had 4 inches of snow and ice fall in 24hrs. It's nothing for most people, but it was downright dangerous for the general public here. There were more than a dozen fatalities in this area from MVAs in that week because some employers decided to open shop and people had to get out and drive in it to get to work. We deep southerners have NO business driving on snow and ice.

This. This a thousand times.

The same way when that big quake struck around here a while back. Hell, even here people freak out over a snowstorm, and we get those pretty regularly.

This was so bad because it was so huge, and for a category 1 storm, it has EXTREMELY low pressure, and a massive storm surge. Yeah, in my area the impact was far less severe than anticipated, but I can easily tell how bad it could have been. And it's amazing that the death toll is as low as it is, precisely BECAUSE people were "getting their panties in a twist" over it, whether they knew they were in the path or not. Also, they didn't know until very late in the game exactly where it was going to hit or which direction it'd take. They had an idea, but the models were changing pretty regularly.

What's it they say, hindsight is always 20/20?

What gave this storm the attention it got wasn't the storm itself. It was the interaction with the cold front sweeping in from the west that intensified it so much. Just because you've made it through bigger storms in Florida without issue doesn't mean squat in this case. Florida knows they're going to get a hurricane from time to time so they're prepared for it. Of all the places you would expect to get hit by a hurricane, northeastern US isn't high on the list. Consequently, we weren't nearly as prepared as Florida is. Hell, I'm from the Texas Gulf coast that has seen they're fair share of hurricanes. You don't see me bitching and moaning about other people bitching and moaning. How about you either show some support or mind your own business?

Not only did you just sail right through the ****** stratosphere with that one, you're still accelerating.

(original credit to BottleBomber)

29291307.jpg

No flooding, no power loss, only 'disturbance' I encountered (other than rain/wind noise) was what it did (at times) to my DirecTV reception. Seriously thinking about going with another service once my contract is up (too expensive to switch until then). Will have to see how it is during winter storms. If it becomes more of an issue, they'll be hearing from me. :eek:

I did see a little water in the basement, by the bulkhead doors. I contribute that to the gap in the doors (going to get that addressed). Not sure if the basement pump was running at all yesterday/last night, since I didn't hear it at all. :rockin:

Shhhhhhh stop typing.

go to disasterassistance.gov if you were impacted by the storm to see what programs are available to you.

Also, if you don't think this storm was a big deal look what happened in NJ and NY... just sayin...

Back