Do you keep a lager on tap for friends?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I understand the direction that this thread has taken. The OP, as a kind gesture, wanted to brew a beer for FRIENDS that they may like. He also wanted to ease them into the experience of a craft that he obviously enjoys. A large amount of responses are on the lines of "screw 'em if they don't know any better". I have consumed my share of mass produced tasteless beers over the years and EVOLVED into enjoying flavorful unique beers. If just one of his friends tastes his well made beer and chooses to experiment with alternative craft beers then all of his effort will be well worth it.

I'm not sure I understand the direction that this thread has taken. The OP, as a kind gesture, wanted to brew a beer for FRIENDS that they may like. He also wanted to ease them into the experience of a craft that he obviously enjoys. A large amount of responses are on the lines of "screw 'em if they don't know any better". I have consumed my share of mass produced tasteless beers over the years and EVOLVED into enjoying flavorful unique beers. If just one of his friends tastes his well made beer and chooses to experiment with alternative craft beers then all of his effort will be well worth it.

I got the OP question as "Do any of you brew a boring light lager to appease those that would rather drink BMC?"
To which most people said either (in summary): "NO WAY", "If they don't like my homebrew they can drink their own beer", or "It is not worth it to brew a BMC clone because the time, effort and cost would be more than just picking up a case of BMC from the liquor store".
A boring light lager will not ease anyone into "better" beer, all it will do is keep them on the same track of drinking boring light lagers. Brewing a cream ale or blonde might get them going though...

nasty_rabbit said:
I understand and agree with the concept but why a lager? Why not a simple blond, a light honey ale or a straight up plain wheat? They are all a quick turn around and plain yet tasty enough to enjoy. My wife and her friends drink 55's or ultras but when I have a blond tapped that is their go to beer.

This was my original post in this thread, so I agree with the idea of a simple brew to introduce the flavors of the craft but when I open my doors to my friends I do not tell them I will NOT try to provide something for them to enjoy and just being in my superior presence should be enough for them. If they don't like it then brown bag in their own garbage.

Beer_is_good_for_you said:
No, my friends like beer. Once I move up to 4 taps though I plan on having a wheat on tap, since it's nice to have something light every once in a while.

I agree. I have 5 taps. The first is carbonated water and the other 4 range from a blonde to an IIPA to a spiced beer to a milk stout. Something for a variety of tastes. It keeps most every one happy. And for the less adventurous there is always Ultra or 55's and PBR in bottles.

Im kind of appalled at the prejudice displayed here. I dont see any posts that talk about personal experiences wih lagering; just a bunch of naysayers parroting how difficult and arduous a process that lagering a light beer is; a bunch of critics discouraging someone from taking on a personal challenge.

Have any of you even had a homebrewed Pilsner? Even when brewed with rice syrup solids they're exceptionally tasty.

Im kind of appalled at the prejudice displayed here. I dont see any posts that talk about personal experiences wih lagering; just a bunch of naysayers parroting how difficult and arduous a process that lagering a light beer is; a bunch of critics discouraging someone from taking on a personal challenge.

Have any of you even had a homebrewed Pilsner? Even when brewed with rice syrup solids they're exceptionally tasty.

OP didn't ask for recipe or technique advice - he asked if anyone brews "plain, boring" light lagers to appease their friends

Aunt_Ester said:

No one was discouraging. People said they either did or did not brew a light lager. The ones who said no said it was cheaper to buy one. If the op wants the challenge of brewing a clean light lager than go for it. It he succeeds then it will only help him in future brews, especially a kolsch. As far as lagering a light beer, keep it in a carboy at cool temperatures for a few months... or did you mean how to brew a light lager? Just a recommendation, if you are going to call out a thread and the people who posted be sure you are using the right terminology.

Yesterday, I finally snagged a freezer to use for making lagers, with the intention of having a beer on tap to be able to offer my friends who prefer light, American-style lagers. But as I prepare to make my first lager, the more I read about it, the more it seems there's a bit of "class snobbery" surrounding brewing such beers.

I'm curious - do you guys keep a batch of "plain, boring" light lager on tap to offer your friends who don't like the richer character of a homebrew ale?

kombat my friend, there are people that will never have the love for great tasting beer. This is what I usually do about once a year I buy a case of what ever is on sale for those who are into american light. I brew lagers, alts, and ales but there are nothing lite about them. Brew what you like, let them not into your hobby BYOB.

I'm absolutely baffled that people seem to have this irrational, instinctive aversion to homebrew beer. I say, "Hey, can I get you a beer?" They say, "Sure, what kind do you have?" "I've got a nice medium-bodied pale ale and a stout." They ask, "OK, but what kind is it? Stella? Heineken?" "No, they're homebrews." Then they back away. "Oh, OK then, don't worry about it, I'm fine with water."

You need better friends :D

I'm passionate about brewing but I couldn't get too excite about making something I personally wouldn't enjoy. If I was to proselytize the benefits and joys of drinking truly good beer, I would start with some of the commercially available varieties. Once they see the light, they might be able to start enjoying my beers.

Don't justify the hobby based on who might like your beer. Be a true artist.

I don't think you read everyone's responses. First, the OP was not asking what you think he was asking. Second, I gave my response to his question and then proceeded to offer some personal advice on what I learned from my own attempts at making lagers. That's above and beyond, right there!

OP my personal experience is that a light blonde ale is very close and much easier to make. If you are expecting your friends to switch to bigger beers than American Light Lager, then they are going to have to try some bigger beers. If not, then they aren't interested in drinking other styles and I would not expect them to change in the future.

That said, I have found that people who are averse to light ale styles oftentimes will enjoy an IPA or stout or some other very flavorful beer, as odd as that may sound.

I do not want to discourage anyone from trying an advanced style like a light lager, but the pleasure you get from it very well may be decided based on your motivation. If it's to experience something new for yourself, then you are likely going to be satisfied at some point. If it's to start converting your friends to ales and other homebrew, be prepared for some disappointment.

Yooper has reminded me that I really wanted to learn to brew a nice Bo Pils though. Maybe I can find some time this winter to lager one of those in the garage.

Jay1 said:
I'm passionate about brewing but I couldn't get too excite about making something I personally wouldn't enjoy. If I was to proselytize the benefits and joys of drinking truly good beer, I would start with some of the commercially available varieties. Once they see the light, they might be able to start enjoying my beers.

Don't justify the hobby based on who might like your beer. Be a true artist.

If you don't like it it's gonna be a chore to drink it. Brew beer you like to drink. If people are gonna be uptight about drinking only BMC it doesn't matter what you make for them, I assure you, they're not gonna drink it.

There are also way to many lager styles to buy a freezer just to brew light lager. I would love to buy a freezer to lager but I genuinely like lagers.

Just buy a 30 pack of natty lite or Milwaukee's beast and call it good.

I usually try to keep a lighter beer style on tap for my non-craft beer friends. I started out with a cream ale, then moved onto a kolsch, but lately I've been making lagers. I've got a Bohemian Pilsner and an Octoberfest on tap, and this is what I give to my non-craft beer drinking friends. It's familiar and doesn't intimidate them. My wife enjoys them and a nice lager is good to have in the rotation.

I enjoy brewing lagers because they are more difficult and less forgiving than ales, and present more of a challenge for me as a brewer. Paying attention to things such as fermentation temperatures and pitching rates are critical when making lagers and seem to be what most ale brewing homebrewers ignore. If you can make a good lager, then you can pretty much make any style of beer successfully.

My BMC drinking friends have enjoyed my blonde, amber, and English bitter quite a bit. I've never had someone get freaked out by the word "homebrew" and I wouldn't go out of my way to try to change their mind if they did. They can bring their own beers if they won't even try what I'm offering. I brew beers I want to drink and I will always let someone try one of my beers if they want to. If it's not their thing I'll offer a different style.

I enjoy brewing lagers because they are more difficult and less forgiving than ales, and present more of a challenge for me as a brewer. Paying attention to things such as fermentation temperatures and pitching rates are critical when making lagers and seem to be what most ale brewing homebrewers ignore. If you can make a good lager, then you can pretty much make any style of beer successfully.

Well said...

I didn't read everyone's posts, but I'll have to say that I would never brew something I didn't want to drink just to have it on tap for someone else. Between the brew day and packaging, you're looking at a good 5 1/2 to 6 hours of work. Not to mention taking up fridge space for at least 6 weeks. No way I'm doing that for a friend and not getting anything out of it. Now a friend with benefits, on the other hand . . .

That said, the man got himself a lagering fridge and wants to make some lagers. Why tell him to stick to ales? I'd say try your hand at a nice Pilsener. If that's not close enough to BMC for your buddies, they're hopeless anyway.

Back