Co2 Regulators (What to buy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would attach your current primary regulator to the CO2 tank, then run a gas line from the primary output to the secondary input. You could even have your CO2 outside of your kegerator that way if you needed the space.

That's a great option there. Also, you can get another single gauge regulator and remove your stem on your dual gauge and connect it to where the plug goes on the new single gauge via a close nipple. That would give you two regulators at least. If you will always have say, two beers to serve and one to carb, you could just split the output of one of the regs and run that one at 12psi for serving or whatever, and then the other on a higher psi for carbing if that's how you choose to carb.

If you use set-it-and-forget-it to carb, pretty much one regulator and a manifold to split it's output would be fine. Most beers carb at relatively the same psi and can usually be served there with the right length of serving line, too.

If you plan to have 4 different beers in the lineup at all times, various styles, some carbing, some serving, etc...you'll want the control of multiple regulators.

Essentially all the linked product above (3 product regulator) is 3 single-gauge regulators connected with nipples, similar to what I said you could do with yours. They are "secondary" because there's no high-pressure gauge...but you could easily add one if that was all you had.

The way i'm going is a single regulator with a 3 way secondary regulator inside the keezer. This way I can run 4 kegs with the highest pressure being ran from the primary regulator, and the rest being ran from the secondary regulators.

IMO, I like having a dual regulator, being able to serve at one pressure and carb at another is nice but it's totally not necessary.

I wouldn't spend anything on a new regulator setup yet. You can absolutely just start with the regulator you have, buy a manifold (or even just some plastic T's and zip-ties/hose clamps if you want to be cheap) to feed multiple kegs with one pressure. Then, in the future if you feel like you want more flexibility there's nothing wrong with buying a 2nd regulator and screwing it on to the first one you have. These things are all completely modular with two high-pressure connections and two low-pressure connections. Take off the CGA-320 stem and replace with a 1/4" npt barb and you can screw a new regulator right where a HP gauge or blank is on another regulator.

IMO, I like having a dual regulator, being able to serve at one pressure and carb at another is nice but it's totally not necessary.

I wouldn't spend anything on a new regulator setup yet. You can absolutely just start with the regulator you have, buy a manifold (or even just some plastic T's and zip-ties/hose clamps if you want to be cheap) to feed multiple kegs with one pressure. Then, in the future if you feel like you want more flexibility there's nothing wrong with buying a 2nd regulator and screwing it on to the first one you have. These things are all completely modular with two high-pressure connections and two low-pressure connections. Take off the CGA-320 stem and replace with a 1/4" npt barb and you can screw a new regulator right where a HP gauge or blank is on another regulator.

This. A manifold is nice though, and much cheaper than any new regulator options. I have a dual regulator on my 2 tap kegerator, and a regulator with a 4 outlet manifold in garage fridge/kegerator for up to four kegs. The vast majority of the time they're all at 12 PSI (I serve my beer cold). I've spent plenty of money on brew related stuff, but the dual regulator is certainly not one of those things I feel like got my money's worth on.

In fact, the dual regulator I have in my dual tap kegerator...mostly just makes the co2 tank top heavy and tippy, so I have to secure it inside the kegerator so the weight of the dual regulator won't cause it to tip over. I DID ruin a 5lb canister when that happened once.....Mo regulator Mo problems. Check valved manifold gives me all the flexibility I want, or need really.

Here ya go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-way-Co2-G...907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53edb260a3

I also started out with just a single regulator and judicious use of metal T's and hose clamps. Just installed my secondaries and couldn't be happier.

In fact, the dual regulator I have in my dual tap kegerator...mostly just makes the co2 tank top heavy and tippy, so I have to secure it inside the kegerator so the weight of the dual regulator won't cause it to tip over.

I have a dual regulator setup (attached two regulators together) on my CO2 tank in the fridge...also top-heavy. Had to bungee the tank to the shelf-track so it doesn't tip.

I have 4 regulators in total, 3 work, one needs cleaning and reassembly. I have no idea how I'll configure them, or if I'll just sell all but one or two and get a manifold. At this point I'm thinking of keeping one for portable serving since I have the paintball tank and adapter already.

Extra tank always comes in handy. I hadn't thought about the paintball tank and adapter...but I have the co2 cartridge charger so I usually just make sure the keg is charged before I go and bring that to dispense. They get used up quick, helps to have some backup cartridges. If you mountain bike they're dual purpose. ;-)

Extra tank always comes in handy. I hadn't thought about the paintball tank and adapter...but I have the co2 cartridge charger so I usually just make sure the keg is charged before I go and bring that to dispense. They get used up quick, helps to have some backup cartridges. If you mountain bike they're dual purpose. ;-)

The 20oz. tank costs me $3.21 to refill and I've, at one time, carbed and served 4 kegs with it :rockin:

That's a great option there. Also, you can get another single gauge regulator and remove your stem on your dual gauge and connect it to where the plug goes on the new single gauge via a close nipple. That would give you two regulators at least. If you will always have say, two beers to serve and one to carb, you could just split the output of one of the regs and run that one at 12psi for serving or whatever, and then the other on a higher psi for carbing if that's how you choose to carb.

Do what to my what? Remove a stem from my existing regulator?

I want to be able to carb my kegs quickly, but why would I need 2 regulators for that? Couldn't I just close the valve to the carbed keg on the manifold and then increase pressure until carbed, then rest back to 12 PSI and open the manifold valve back up?

I don't have a collar built for my freezer yet :(

For example Can I get this spliter, http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=689

another Valve
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=564

And then pickup a triple manifold (or additional secondary regulators) later when I get 2 more kegs?

Wow! I gotta look into one of those.

Just serving I bet I could push 10 kegs between refills. Definitely handy for taking a keg with you somewhere. Keg, bucket, bag of ice, picnic tap, paintball tank attached to regulator...DONE

Do what to my what? Remove a stem from my existing regulator?

I want to be able to carb my kegs quickly, but why would I need 2 regulators for that? Couldn't I just close the valve to the carbed keg on the manifold and then increase pressure until carbed, then rest back to 12 PSI and open the manifold valve back up?

I don't have a collar built for my freezer yet :(

For example Can I get this spliter, http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=689

another Valve
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=564

And then pickup a triple manifold (or additional secondary regulators) later when I get 2 more kegs?

If you want two regulators so that you can have two totally different pressures running, get a single-gauge regulator and remove the stem on yours (the part that connects to the co2 tank) and the plug on the single-gauge reg. Then get a close nipple (be sure if it needs to be right or left hand threads) and connect the two regulators. If you want more splitting from there, get a manifold. The carbing regulator needs to remain on the higher PSI until the keg is ready to serve. It's not very effective to just put 30PSI in the keg and remove it from the gas.

If you want two regulators so that you can have two totally different pressures running, get a single-gauge regulator and remove the stem on yours (the part that connects to the co2 tank) and the plug on the single-gauge reg. Then get a close nipple (be sure if it needs to be right or left hand threads) and connect the two regulators. If you want more splitting from there, get a manifold. The carbing regulator needs to remain on the higher PSI until the keg is ready to serve. It's not very effective to just put 30PSI in the keg and remove it from the gas.

I think I understand what your getting at. But basically I could just buy that T-fitting and be ok for now? It would just prevent me from fast carbing, or from being able to serve from my other keg while fast carbing?

I think I could spring for the second regulator, but don't I need 2 compatible units to make this work? Or is it as simple as measuring the threads and ordering a correct additional regulator and adapter?

I think I understand what your getting at. But basically I could just buy that T-fitting and be ok for now? It would just prevent me from fast carbing, or from being able to serve from my other keg while fast carbing?

I think I could spring for the second regulator, but don't I need 2 compatible units to make this work? Or is it as simple as measuring the threads and ordering a correct additional regulator and adapter?

Just making sure both are left-hand threads or right-hand threads. That's the compatibility.

I had one regulator and two kegs for a while. It worked OK, I'd carb for two days and occasionally have to pull the QD off that keg to juice up the one I was serving, but not un-doable. You could get the co2 cartridge keg-charger, too, and use that when you're carbing. Of course, it's about as much as a regulator :D

Just making sure both are left-hand threads or right-hand threads. That's the compatibility.

I had one regulator and two kegs for a while. It worked OK, I'd carb for two days and occasionally have to pull the QD off that keg to juice up the one I was serving, but not un-doable. You could get the co2 cartridge keg-charger, too, and use that when you're carbing. Of course, it's about as much as a regulator :D

So if I get something like this it is really just purchasing the connector piece?
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=461

I wish I had an illustration. When you see a dual gauge regulator, you will notice the two bodies are connected by a piece of metal. That is the nipple . Buying two regulators and connecting with a nipple us the same thing. You already have one.

From your first link, see my notes on the product image. What I'm saying is that you already have the regulator on the left of the photo (a dual-gauge reg). If you bought a single-gauge reg and a nipple, you now have the same thing as the photo.

tapritedualbodyUSA.jpg

From your first link, see my notes on the product image. What I'm saying is that you already have the regulator on the left of the photo (a dual-gauge reg). If you bought a single-gauge reg and a nipple, you now have the same thing as the photo.

Ahh I found the add a regulator kit, which costs a bit more, I am a bit concerned about the weight of the additional regulator. I won't have anything to bolt down to in the chest freezer for now. Maybe I can rig something with some double sided tape though...

Ahh I found the add a regulator kit, which costs a bit more, I am a bit concerned about the weight of the additional regulator. I won't have anything to bolt down to in the chest freezer for now. Maybe I can rig something with some double sided tape though...

You can certainly get the rail of single regulators if you want and mount them to the side of the keezer inside, then just have the primary regulator attached to the tank.

It does get top-heavy with multiple regulators. Either way, if you want control, you need more regulators than one. Two would be ideal with manifolds off each so you can carb 2-3 beers and serve 2-3 beers, depending on where you are in your pipeline at the moment.

I ended up just going with the tap right dual regulator combo. I know I could have saved a few bucks on the add in regulator, but really I don't even know if the regulator I have works as I bought it with a Co2 tank years ago and never tested it. It's probably fine, I dunno why I decided to go for the tapright regulators instead...Maybe it was money well spent, maybe not, oh well. I need to get them here ASAP! I will have beer ready to go into the keg when they arrive.

Thanks for everyone's help even though I guess i don't listen to well :p :mug:

P.S. Keg connection has 5lb Co2 tanks on special for $44 with a 2 year hydro.

If I have a dual regulator but only plan to use 1 output, do I need to get a shut-off valve on the output I'm not using? Or will having the nut turned off be enough?

It is an older CO2 regulator and neither post has a shut-off valve that I can see.

Also should the screw pressure adjustment screw eventually come out if keep turning counter clockwise? My logical guess yes.

Below is a picture of my regulator. I'd like to use it as got it for free from a relative who used to do soda fountain.

IMAG1786.jpg

Back