Looking to Temp. Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently moved to NYC and my apartment runs very hot. I have had the A/C turned on all winter with the exception of about 1 week over sub 20 degree weather. I'm running AC right now on medium blast room temp is around 72 degrees. Running on full blast is very expensive, my electric bill was > $600 my first month from running full blast. I have never fermented in a strict temperature controlled environment but I've always had a very stable 65 degree apartment before. Looking to up my game now.

Enclosures, submersions, swamp coolers are out of the picture. Apartment and NYC being key words here. I use blichmann conicals for fermenters and they sit on my kitchen counter, thats the only space for them. I was looking for something like thermoelectric cooling with peltier coolers to do the trick, something I could attach to the fermenters. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Dude, it's WINTER! Open a friggin' window! Or buy a crapton of ConEd stock!
Peltier coolers are gawdawful expensive to run...

my window's don't open, its weird. most of the building does but I'm in this funky loft level with big unopenable windows. Running the peltier coolers or something like that would be a LOT less money than running my AC unit at a high enough rate to bring my room temp down to 65-68.

Im assuming you have radiant heat. There should be shutoff valves for your radiators, turn a couple of those radiators off. you may need to use vice grips because the building probobly removes the knobs so you dont **** with it.

try a swamp cooler. not the type that cools a garage, but the type that's made from a large rubbermaid tote (15-18 gal), place your fermented in a bath of water inside the tote, cool with frozen bottles, or warm with a small aquarium heater. if you're just looking to cool things off, the cost is around $10, the heater would run another $10-20.

Find someone willing to allow you to brew with them and offer them a few $$$ or some of the beer. From what you describe you really are not set up for brewing and it would be much easier/cheaper to brew with another HBer. In a city as large as NYC there must be a local HB club...

Back