20 qt pot - stove top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squad83

Reaction score
After a couple of one gallon batches I'm moving up to 5 gallon AG batches and was wondering if a 20 qt(7.5g) pot would fit on a stove top( these pots look huge). I live in an apartment and do not have access to a yard or outside burner. Would this fly?

Thanks.

I think you mean 30qt. 4qts/gallon, 20qt is a 5gal pot. 30qt is a great size for 5-gallon batches cause you'll probably be boiling close to 6 gallons.

What type of stove do you have? Mine is electric and it takes 45-55 minutes to boil 4 gallons. The size of the pot isn't the limiting factor. Try filling up your largest pot with water and see how long it takes to come to a full boil (steady stream of bubbles rising, 212F)

My friend and I brew on the stovetop. It does take longer but when it's 9* outside...it makes beer.

What I keep wondering is if there's some sort of contraption that you can throw on all four burners of a glass-top stove and get some combined mega-burner in the middle for big boils? Kinda like the griddle things you can put on there...something that channels multiple burners to the center. Am I crazy or could this work/exist?

I use a 5G SS stock pot on our electric stove for 3G partial boils. Even that takes quite a while. I can't imagine getting 6G to boil on the average stove.

My stove has one high powered burner and it took about an hour to get 6 gal up to a boil this past weekend. If you have regular burners or an electric it's probably going to be very difficult to get that much water to boil. I have a propane burner outside, but we have pretty high winds usually and I didn't want to get a bunch of "extra additions" in my beer.

After a couple of one gallon batches I'm moving up to 5 gallon AG batches and was wondering if a 20 qt(7.5g) pot would fit on a stove top( these pots look huge). I live in an apartment and do not have access to a yard or outside burner. Would this fly?

Thanks.

I bought a 40qt (10 gallon) kettle, and it fits perfectly fine on my stovetop.

Edit: I have gas. If you have an electric stove, you are going to be struggling to get a boil.

I have a pretty hefty stove burner (nothing fancy though) and I'm positive I could never get 6 gallons to a boil on it. A turkey fryer is only $40 and I brew on my condo's patio (2nd floor).

Edit: I have gas. If you have an electric stove, you are going to be struggling to get a boil.

Be careful when you generalize. I have an electric stove and I have no problem boiling 6 1/2 gallons on a single burner. Not all electric stoves are the same. :rockin:

I have a small piece of crap electric stove in a small Boston apartment and can boil 9 gallons in a reasonable amount of time.

dscn1951q.jpg
dscn1210g.jpg

Foil insulation ftw.

[content deleted -- I re-read the original post and my answer was irrelevant -- mods please delete this post?]

A 20 qt. pot should fit fine on a stove top, that's what I use for my mashing kettle when I'm doing stove top BIAB. You can mash over 9 lbs. of grain in a pot that size, but you'll probably want something larger for the kettle that you actually boil in.

With two pots and good timing I can get over 6 gallons boiling on my gas stove no problem. Start heating my mash kettle back up while I'm sparging in my boil kettle, then as soon as I'm done sparging put the heat back on the boil kettle. Carefully pour the mash into the sparge/boil kettle after the grains have been removed, but the lid on, and before I know it I have a boil.

We've been using a stove. With the pot on 2 burners it boils in a reasonable amount of time with decent vigor - it would go a little faster and roll more vigorously on my banjo, but sometimes the convenience is worth it. I have a 9 gallon pot and do full boil 7 gallon batches.

Yeah it was a 30qt pot, just remembered the gallon size. The stove I have has one "power boil" burner on it, with three other "high range" burners. Think I'm going to go for it - the burners are relatively close to one another and I should be able to get a partial burn from a second burner.

Is it possible that the stove will not be able to get the water to boil, or is it just a timing factor?

Back