temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zurcj20

Reaction score
I've been using the ice bottles in a tub method for temp control. Active fermentation is now complete. Do I still need to keep the temps as low? I was holding 64 with the ice. Ambient is 72. Us-05 yeast. Thank you.

If it doesn't go up into the high 70s low 80s, you should be fine.

How much does the temperature fluctuate throughout the day?

I've been pondering the same thing. I have myself convinced that after a 3-4 days of temp controlled fermentation I can stop worrying about keeping ice in the swamp, depending on the yeast. My basement is currently mid to low 70s, I've got a batch with Ardennes going and I think that's a good match. I only worry when I'm at the top of the temp range for a given yeast and I try to plan summer brew sessions with yeast that can handle the expected temp in the basement. I'm working towards temperature controlled fermentation but I have yet to have a clear problem with temperature messing with flavors, so it's not a huge priority. ATMO on your question, 72 would be fine with me!

Once the majority of the fermentation is done, it can be a good thing to raise the temperature. At that point, don't worry about the yeast temperature limits.

As a general rule, taking every beer to 75 (or higher depending on the yeast) at the end of fermentation will help it to fully attenuate, and clean up any diecetyl flavors.

Once the majority of the fermentation is done, it can be a good thing to raise the temperature. At that point, don't worry about the yeast temperature limits.

As a general rule, taking every beer to 75 (or higher depending on the yeast) at the end of fermentation will help it to fully attenuate, and clean up any diecetyl flavors.

This is true, however I have had problems with fermentation temps that fluctuate often (Even after the primary ferm is over).

This is true, however I have had problems with fermentation temps that fluctuate often (Even after the primary ferm is over).

Buy a big plastic tub from Walmart. Place fermenter in the tub and fill about half way with water. You will get very little temperature fluctuation.

Back