Slow ferment with Sorghum.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haasfilm

Reaction score
I made my first G-free beer recently.

6 lb. White Sorghum syrup
1 lb. Amber Belgian Candi syrup
1 oz. Tettnang @ 60 mins.
.5 oz. Perle @ 15 mins.
.5 oz. Perle @ flameout
Safale S-04 English ale yeast.

After I had this in my cold basement I moved it to a warmer room after 48 hours without airlock activity. I was a little worried that this yeast would floc too fast if it got too cold. After I moved it there was about a weeks worth of consistent airlock activity. The krausen was different from others I've encountered. Mostly just some bubbles on the surface. Wondering if anyone's experienced such a long fermentation with Sorghum wort/S-04? I will have to take a gravity reading soon as it's slowing down after a week+ in the fermentor.

I made my first G-free beer recently.

6 lb. White Sorghum syrup
1 lb. Amber Belgian Candi syrup
1 oz. Tettnang @ 60 mins.
.5 oz. Perle @ 15 mins.
.5 oz. Perle @ flameout
Safale S-04 English ale yeast.

After I had this in my cold basement I moved it to a warmer room after 48 hours without airlock activity. I was a little worried that this yeast would floc too fast if it got too cold. After I moved it there was about a weeks worth of consistent airlock activity. The krausen was different from others I've encountered. Mostly just some bubbles on the surface. Wondering if anyone's experienced such a long fermentation with Sorghum wort/S-04? I will have to take a gravity reading soon as it's slowing down after a week+ in the fermentor.

S-04 usually blows lids off fermenters, second only to hefeweizen yeast for vigorousness and quickness.

My guess is that you just shocked the yeast a bit and they took awhile to wake back up. Not uncommon and your beer will be just fine.

Yeah my GF was like this. It took a while to ferment and had not much foam. Just alot of bubbles. I used winsor nottingham ale. Don't worry just wait it out

It fermented out just fine, but I've never had such a LONG fermentation. The airlock would not stop. I only worried that wild yeast would be working that long and feared an infection. This turned out pretty good. I ended up bumping up the hops additions and think that's a bad idea with these beers. There's not as big of a malt backbone to balance out the hops and it ended up a little sharply bitter. A month of cold conditioning in the keg helped to round that out.

Back