Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy07

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am about to start all grain brewing soon and I just want to make sure everything turns out good! I don't want my yeast to be the reason for a bad first batch. I have been reading a lot about yeast starters and I plan on making one from a liquid english ale yeast from whitelabs. My question to you guys is: what type of yeast nutrient do you guys use and how much for a typical 5 gallon batch. My LHBS has multiple different types of "yeast nutrient". I will be making a strawberry blonde. Also when should I add the yeast? into the starter? Into the cooled wort? or a combination of both?

I use Brewer's Choice™ Wyeast Nutrient Blend in my liquid starters and since I have they ferment like a volcano. I also use 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Reading White's book now. For that brew I'd add it to the starter. He stresses that healthy yeast going into the fermenter is the biggest thing to get right. Well, that and controlling fermentation temps.

I also use the Wyeast nutrient. I add a pinch to starters and half teaspoon to 5 gal as directed on the vial.
I would suspect all nutrients have the same ingredients but maybe not?????

+1 for Wyeast nutrient...takes off like a rocket!

Although labelled as "nutrients" they are not all the same...read the ingredients...sometimes they are just hulls and don't contain a "formulated mix of good stuff"...

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories...t-nutrient-and-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-it

Yeast hulls (sometimes called "yeast ghosts") are essentially yeast skeletons. They’re the freeze-dried empty shells of yeast cells that have had the water and other liquid elements sucked out of them. Sounds a little gruesome, but yeast hulls provide extra nutrients that are critical to a fermentation.

Yeast extract, on the other hand, is basically a concentrated slurry of dead yeast cells. It’s sold dehydrated or wet. This slurry is rich in vitamins, minerals, nitrogen and other elements, some of which yeast can use and some that they’ll simply excrete un-metabolized.

Yeast nutrient (sometimes called "yeast food") is a scientific, laboratory-formulated mix of good stuff (nitrogen, amino acids, certain proteins and minerals) that yeast need and actively metabolize in fermentation conditions. Yeast nutrient is the most expensive additive of the three and a little bit goes a long way.

I don't use any nutrient and don't have a problem.

For a while I did toss some old yeast in the boil, but I've given up on that. It didn't seem to make any difference.

From what I have read, beers with a lot of malt don't need nutrients.

I've been making ciders with just apple juice and sugar and still ferment to dryness without nutrients.

If it makes you feel better, use it, but I don't believe it is necessary.

I just used the Wyeast nutrient for the first time. My last two batches (partial mash brown and all grain oatmeal cream stout) were both feremented with S-04 but the stout with the nutrient took off and went like gang busters.

I also use the Wyeast nutrient. I only add it to the starter. I figure by the time that the yeast are finished with the starter, they've already got all the nutrients they need for that batch and any cell divisions that will occur during the lag.

I use a teaspoon at the end of the boil on higher gravity beers and mead. I used to use nutrients in every batch but I stopped adding it and found no change. I still generally have fermentation within a few hours.

Back