primary fermentation - tastes pish!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titch

Reaction score
probably a silly question but thought id ask anyway,

ive just finished my primary fermentation, and couldnt help but have a little taste to see what it was like. after my first swig i thought i was back in an old club we used to go to where they watered down the pints and filtered them through gandhis flip flop.

so after my dissapointing first taste i was wondering is this a good indicator that ive dun somethin wrong? or will it taste MUCH better after the secondary fermentation? also the lager looks a little cloudy and has no fizz whatsoever (i assumed it would have some fizz at least before secondary)

anyone all these are probably silly questions questions but being my first brew thought it better to ask them now than later

any feedback would be great

Titch,
Only time will tell. Be patient, it pays to carry on buying supermarket beer whilst yours matures.
I've just drank my last bottle of a batch I bottled in March. I wish I had kept the rest this long.
You shouldn't expect anything else but cloudy flat beer at this stage.
Now whats that saying again? relax have a bought beer while your waiting or something like that.

cheers for the quick replys.

another quick & probably stupid question but do i add my co2 cannister as soon as ive set up the secondary fermentation or do i add this when everythin is finished and i start to drink the beer and want to keep the gas topped up?

also i have a top tap on my barrel, if this is not working does it suggest that there is a leak somewhere in the barrel and there is not enough pressure for it to work? or that i just need to be patient again and let the natural gasses create the pressure for this to work.

sorry for the silly questions again but it rests my mind to hear the oppinoins of people who have dun this before

No stupid questions here Titch homebrewing is serious business :D
I'm just guessing but are you in the UK and talking about a 5 Gall. plastic keg?
If so and you've primed the beer in your keg you shouldn't need to give it a squirt of gas until it starts going flat, you'll notice when it needs a gas injection.
It sounds like you have a top tap with a float on the inside of the keg, if this is the case the build up of pressure from secondary fermentation will make it work. If you suspect a leak give it a quick squirt of gas to make sure all is well.

Roger.

I find it pays if you leave the sodastream cylinder actually resting ontop of the keg under the force of gravity. This is because when I remove the cylinder I actually hear a hissing noise meaning that gas is escaping so keeping it there makes sure everything is kept under pressure. Also make sure the cap on the float is secure because otherwise you could end up pouring hazy beer. It pays to use alot of vaseline and to screw the lid on securely.

I had the same problem with gas escaping, a replacement valve sorted it.

titch said:
so after my dissapointing first taste

Hang in there, the same happened to me a a few weeks ago when I racked my first batch ever to the secondary. I wanted to check its OG to make sure it was ready to rack. To avoid contaminating my beer I decided to throw sample away but why throw, better taste it. It smelled awful, kind of sour the taste was the same, I did my research and thought the beer got contaminated with a lacto-bacteria because of that yougurt kind of smell and taste. I could only continue and see what happens.

About a week ago I added some claryfier, took a sample and disolved the claryfier. I didn't taste it but the sour smell was gone, the glass in which I mixed the beer sample remained with a sweet beer like wonderful aroma. I'm glad I waited and continued, tomorow I'll bottle. The beer I wanted to throw away, now I can't wait to try it.

Just hope my story gives you hope. I'll keep you posted on the tasting once I try it.

cheers for the feedback people, guess i should just be more patient hey

Back