gas leak at keg connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San_Diego_Matt

Reaction score
So I just kegged an American Brown this past weekend. Everything went well with the transfer and I was, for the first time, able to do a closed transfer from my carboy (better bottle) into the beer out side of the keg.

I got everything cleaned up and suck the gas on the gas in side to give it a little pressure to seal the keg up before sticking it in the fridge to condition for a bit while I drink the other 3 kegs in there that are ready to go.

I have pin lock kegs and I put the gas disconnect on the post and can hear it leak. It doesn't leak when it's not on the post and it doesn't leak when on a post from another keg. The keg holds pressure too because I lifted the PRV pin and it hissed away.

I have 2 CO2 bottles with regulators on them so I grabbed the other one, set the pressure at 12.5PSI, connected another disconnect, connected it to the post and it too leaks.

So I have a keg that leaks when the gas is connected to it. I'm not sure what's leaking to be completely honest. I wiggled the disconnect around a bit and could not get it to seal up. I recently had beer in this keg too and it worked fine. I broke it down, cleaned/sanitized everything and replaced all the seals before adding the brown to it. The seals I used were the bulk ones you can get from McMaster Carr.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Matt

So I just kegged an American Brown this past weekend. Everything went well with the transfer and I was, for the first time, able to do a closed transfer from my carboy (better bottle) into the beer out side of the keg.

I got everything cleaned up and suck the gas on the gas in side to give it a little pressure to seal the keg up before sticking it in the fridge to condition for a bit while I drink the other 3 kegs in there that are ready to go.

I have pin lock kegs and I put the gas disconnect on the post and can hear it leak. It doesn't leak when it's not on the post and it doesn't leak when on a post from another keg. The keg holds pressure too because I lifted the PRV pin and it hissed away.

I have 2 CO2 bottles with regulators on them so I grabbed the other one, set the pressure at 12.5PSI, connected another disconnect, connected it to the post and it too leaks.

So I have a keg that leaks when the gas is connected to it. I'm not sure what's leaking to be completely honest. I wiggled the disconnect around a bit and could not get it to seal up. I recently had beer in this keg too and it worked fine. I broke it down, cleaned/sanitized everything and replaced all the seals before adding the brown to it. The seals I used were the bulk ones you can get from McMaster Carr.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Matt

I sounds as if the gas fitting on your pin lock keg needs to be replaced because the gas disconnects from your CO2 tanks are not mating properly with it anymore.

is this a common occurence?

Granted I don't know how old the kegs are and how they were used in the past, but it seems like it'd take a long ass time for plastic disconnects to wear down a stainless post.

Should I at least change the post seals before plunking down coin for new posts?

Back