Smoked & Deviled Scotch Eggs with Bacon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
This is an adaptation of a traditional Scotch egg recipe, well actually its waaay out in left field from the original.

this recipe is for making 6 eggs, for 12 servings.
The sausage mix:
*6 peeled hard boiled eggs, buy them a week in advance. real fresh eggs peel poorly. I use the float method to see if they are good for hardboiling, in a pot of water set the egg on the bottom, if the egg stands up on end it is a good hardboiler, if it lays flat its too fresh, if it floats to the top its good to go in the trash.
*2 lbs of fresh bulk sweet Italian sausage, cut it out of casings if links are all thats available at the store
*1 raw egg to go into the sausage mix
*breadcrumbs (enough to tighten up the sausage-egg mix)
*6 slices of bacon cooked crisp in the oven and minced up, can be mixed into sausage mix (might be a good idea for my next batch)

The deviled egg ingredients:
*****based on list for 18 whole eggs, needs to be adjusted down!******
*1/2 cup real mayo
*2 Tbsp dijon mustard
*1Tbsp minced green onion or shallot
*1Tbsp lemon juice
*1/2tsp sriracha sauce
*1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
*1/4 tsp salt
*addl sriracha sauce for garnish

mix the raw egg into the sausage mix, add breadcrumbs until the mix tightens up and is no longer runny. seperate into 6 even balls.

take one sausage ball and flatten into an oval, add some bacon crumbles to the top if they were not incorporated into the sausage mix

DSCF1847.jpg

wrap the sausage around an egg and try to maintain an even thickness to promote even cooking. repeat for all the eggs.

DSCF1848.jpg

get the smoker to 225-250° and start smoking the eggs, I hit them with mesquite wood for the first hour or so, then use natural hardwood charcoal for the balance of the cooking

DSCF1850.jpg

I use a cooling rack to smoke them on, I use it while making them and transfer to the smoker.

DSCF1851.jpg

mine took approx 3 hours for the sausage to get to 160 internal temp to properly cook the sausage.

DSCF1853.jpg

DSCF1855.jpg

once cooled a bit I cut them in half, scooped out the yolks and deviled them, mix all the ingredients with the egg yolks until smoothe and pipe into eggs, top with a drop of sriracha sauce and enjoy!

DSCF1859.jpg

So, what do you guys think of this as my first posted recipe?
Sadly I usually eat the leftovers with my morning coffee!

That is freaking awesome! Looks like a great way to up the ante from Grandma's deviled eggs at the next family get together.

try that deviled egg recipe above, some of the best I have ever had!
when I made this batch of deviled scotch eggs I eyeballed it to bring the recipe down for just 6 yolks but I figured I would post up the whole deviled egg recipe so folks know where to begin

Looks great! I've done scotch eggs with hot Italian sausage. Baked them in the oven. Didn't devil them though.

Those look soooooo tasty! I'l have to be content with the oven version though, as I have no smoker. Thanks for sharing the recipe & the pics. Regards, GF.

Sooooopa tasty. Should have taken em off the smoker a littler earlier, but still outstanding. "That is different, but tasty" says the wife.

Crikey, I think my gall bladder just punched me for even thinking about making these...SCREW YOU GALL BLADDER!!

the gall bladder is in cahoots with the liver and must also be destroyed!

I have a nice spicy shrimp recipe that calls for 2 lbs of shrimp and 1 lb of butter. I think I will be posting that one up as well, I will take pics making it and then post it up!

good god! That's damn gorgeous! Smoked meats kick ass any old day, but deviled scotch eggs plays with my emotions.

Im gonna make these this weekend for my in laws along with some pulled pork...can't wait

Dan

Oh man, I have a charcoal smoker that I don't use because it's a pain in the ass to get the temp correct. You might have just given me a reason to fire it up again.

I can't just make these alone....I will think of something. I want to brew this weekend, hmmm, brew/bbq. Looks frikin great dude, thanks for posting.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

I MUST make this - even though this is a lousy time of year to use the smoker. (Too cold)

Only thing is, hard boiled eggs give me the toxic wastes....maybe I can make smoke rings with these babies.....

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

I MUST make this - even though this is a lousy time of year to use the smoker. (Too cold)

Only thing is, hard boiled eggs give me the toxic wastes....maybe I can make smoke rings with these babies.....

You are going to LOVE them!

Perhaps you could use liquid smoke and do them in the oven instead of revving up the smoker in the cold.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

try using the grill. you can still get a nice amount of smoke in them and grills can still put out enough heat in winter weather.

Back