Back Sweetening 2 gallons???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsbrothers

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what preportions i could use to back sweeten my 2 gallon batch? I know i wanna use some cinnomon sticks some nutmeg but i dont want to use too much and over power the flavor. I think I may use some apple concentrate to bring about more apple flavor. I guess what i am asking is if anyone can help with some specific measurments?

use frozen apple juice concentrate. This is pasteurized so it will not ferment. Do NOT add the entire can. Once can just sweetened a very tart 5.5 gallon batch I made......so put about 1/4 in shake and taste. Remember that your cider will sweeten naturally as it ages a little as well.

The apple concentrate may be pasteurized, but your freshly fermented cider is not. Even if you have racked it off the lees and it looks clear it may still have enough yeast floating around to restart fermentation. If you're not going to carbonate it, you could add campden and sorbate before backsweetening with concentrate, although people have had it restart even then. Safest thing is a non-fermentable sweetener. From personal experience I do NOT recommend stevia--I tried that and had a horrible aftertaste--ruined a whole gallon.

Back