Long Time in Fermenter, Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EisBerg

Reaction score
Due to the nature of my job my brews end up staying in the carboy for about a month. My normal procedure is to brew up a batch and after about a week I rack to secondary and bottle when I return home in 28 days. This time around though I had to pull a double :( and I have two batches (a blonde and a sweet stout) that have been sitting in those secondaries for 2.5 months!!! My question is...will I be able to prime as normal. Rack to bottling bucket and corn sugar and bottle. Will the yeast left be fine. The blonde was pitched using just the vial and sweet stout was a 1000ml starter.

Thanks,
EB

Oh...belive me, I RDWHAHB quite often just can't recall if I have ever read or heard about this kind of unique situation that I'm sure I will get myself into again along the way!! Cool...so yeast will stay viable for very long periods of time?

Two and a half months in secondary isn't that unusual. I've carbonated many brews that have sat for 6 - 8 months in secondary without problem. The only time I added yeast was a batch that sat for 18 months in the secondary and I don't even know that that was necessary.

Wish I had a job where i could leave my beer alone for that long. I would think that long would be good for your beer!!!

Wish I had a job where i could leave my beer alone for that long. I would think that long would be good for your beer!!!

That's what I'm banking on. Hopefully clearer beer and proper aging without sample temptation! My normal schedule is 28 days at sea and 14 days at home. I will be doing a couple batches each time home and bottle or keg the batches from the last time. Those bottles should be well ready to drink (for normal gravity) by the time I return home. Thanks for the info!!:mug:

Back