Grain Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTower

Reaction score
I'm brewing an extract version of EdWort's Robust Porter tonight (7 lbs DME to replace 2-row). I got all the steeping grains yesterday, but was in a rush and didn't get them milled. I'm going to use the rolling pin/ziploc bag method and was wondering how fine i should be trying to get the grains. I've never really looked at milled grains closely. Should I be shooting to split them in half? fourths? I've also never used flaked barley, I'm assuming there's no need to crush this, it just goes straight into the grain bag?

I strive to separate the "meat" from the husk, without shredding the husk. Id say my kernels are broken into fourths, with the husks intact or in halves.

I dont think it will hurt, some people mill flaked maize...

Take your time and try to be as consistent as you can. Since it's just partial-mash-amounts that should be doable. I crushed a full AG batch that way and in order for me to have done it right it would have taken quite a while and it would have been pretty tiring.

But I didn't do it right...my crush was way too inconsistent. Some grains were crushed while others were virtually intact. Efficiency was quite poor.

Back