Removing labels from beer bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are probably right here, man.

My own method, tested yesterday over 2-3 hours. I cleaned, delabeled and sanitized 3 cases of bottles in hot water and StarSan. Most of the labels came right off. The rest of them i used a curved metal scraper. To remove the glue i used a square of blue aquarium filter sponge media (same stuff i used to scrub my bottling bucket, etc.). The labels i had the worst time with were labels that used vinyl stickets and foil necks. All were clean. Some glue residue, but nothing to be concerned about.

Ya, UV coated labels really don't come off and neither do foil (well, easly that is). I always just skip those. Unfortunitly alot of bombers have UV coated lables...if you can pull the label off by hand, the 1-Step with get the residual glue off the bottle.

I had about 2 cases of bottles in an oxy/water soak that I forgot about last fall. Unfortunately it was in my garage. I now have 2 cases of broken bottles due to the freeze/thaw that happened all winter. Ugh. At least I'm kegging now so they aren't as needed...

Most beer bottle labels use water soluble glue that disolves off in warm water. Sometimes I'll get several cases of recycle 22 oz. Sapporo bottles from a local sushi restaurant--they're great for homebrews and the labels slide off in warm water.

If I get a big batch of recycle bottles, I start them in the dishwasher then open it before it drains to pick out the labels that have come off. With mixed wine and beer bottles I use oxy-clean or dishwasher detergent and hot water soak in 5 gal buckets.

For labels that use sticky glue, I warm the bottles (in the microwave if they have non metalic labels) and slice them off with a razor blade scraper. The toughest glue comes off easily with a paper towel and a little mineral spirits.

One-Step is more expense and it won't work well on many sticky glue labels.

Regardless of the method used, I can tell you that Samuel Adams labels are very easy to remove. I do it with just warm water and a sponge for the glue, which comes off very easily.

I tried bleach and water the first go around. It did alright but could have been improved.

Second time, I used ammonia and water and it did a much better job. Many floated to the surface in a day. Even the foil around negro modela bottles was super easy to remove.

european brands have been the easiest for me, plain hot water and they give it up. domestic brands really glue them on tight.

I just keep one of those big plastic bins (About 18 gallons) filled with a few gallons of water and some Oxyclean. Finish a bottle, rinse it out, and drop it in. When I get some time I grab a handful and rinse them under the sink really well and set them out to dry then box them up for later use. Still working off of the same water and Oxyclean after about 2 weeks and never had a bottle with even glue remaining on it.

I just keep one of those big plastic bins (About 18 gallons) filled with a few gallons of water and some Oxyclean. Finish a bottle, rinse it out, and drop it in. When I get some time I grab a handful and rinse them under the sink really well and set them out to dry then box them up for later use. Still working off of the same water and Oxyclean after about 2 weeks and never had a bottle with even glue remaining on it.

Same here.

Now, I have been told by my future FIL that the wire wheel on his bench grinder removes labels fast, easy and completely, without soaking. I have not tried this and if someone else wants to try it, please wear eye protection...

I've had good luck with soaking my bottles in the bath tub in warm water overnight, then for the tough ones scrape the label off with a butter knife and get a scotch brite pad to scrub off the glue.

I have found that Sapporo labels come off very easy. There is a local brewery here that I save a lot of bottles from that are a pain. Use a little steel wool after a soak and they are good to go. I am using almost all 22oz bottles now.

Soak in a sink full of OxyClean and hot water, peel labels off, scrub any remaining residue, rinse well.

I boil a 6 pack at a time for about 10 mintues. If the label doesn't fall off in the water I use a semi rigid piece of plastic like a gift card and scrape off the rest. But then you still need to remove the glue from the bottle. For that use a copper pan scrubbie. After a few good shakes with the scrubbie wipe it clean with a towel and it is ready.

BTW- The bottles will be hot-hot-hot when you take them from the water so use tongs to remove them and a thick towel to hold them. Try not to get the towel to wet or the heat will transfer quickly to your hands.

I boiled 2.5G of water in a 3G stock pot,dunking 3-4 bottles at a time. Within 8-12 seconds,the Paulaner labels come right off! The Michelob amber bock labels take a couple of mins max. I did some 39 bottles in 30 mins before having to stop & top off the boiling pot.
I sit on a stool at the stove with tongs in hand,bottle tree on a chair on my left,& let the boiling water do all the work. I not only get label free bottles in seconds,but clean as a whistle too! And didn't have to scrape a single one. No chemicals either! Thanx for the perfect solution,rad!!!

Well, this is one of those threads where I say "I use PBW," and then someone chimes in and says "PBW is too expensive, you should use Oxi-Clean" and I say "My water is too hard, Oxi-Clean will leave a white film on the bottle, so I'm gonna keep on using PBW." There. That should save some posts.

Also- all bottles are not created equal. Saranac bottles are a *****, Sam Adams are (as detailed in earlier posts) easy. I think there may be a post somewhere with a list of hard & easy labels. Easiest bottles are those that have peel-off or shrink-on labels. Guinness bottles are a dream. Just slice off the shrink-on label, and use a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull out the plastic spaceship inside. Two Brothers are peel-off, also easy.

Some of these methods require TOO MUCH WORK!
(however, to each his own. Perhaps some LIKE scrubbing....)

go easy. PBW or Oxyclean. toss 'em into a bucket, dishpan, whatever.
walk away.

later, when so inclined, pick them up and discard the floating labels.
Rinse.

done.

I've noticed the US micro brew labels are a PITA to cook loose. They've been cookin for about 15mins now. gunna go check'em...Well,they've cooked for 15-18 mins now,& I still had to scrape & curse to get the US micro brew labels off. But,I guess an hour to go through some 4 cases isn't too bad. Most were easy peasy!
I think this way is the easiest,quickest way. The boiling water does all the work. And I get to do something connected with brewing.

I know it sounds completely mad, but a bench grinder with a wire wheel works wonders on stubborn labels. Soak them for about a day to minimize paper "dust" and put just enough pressure on the bottle to take the label off - not much. I'll try to do a quick vid in the near future.

I soak them in bath tub w/ a scoop of Oxy. I do 50 bottles at a crack. Let them sit in the solution for 2hrs. Some labels fall off w/o any help (New Glarus), other lables need some finger nail help, some need a flat razor scraper.

Last phase is to rub them down with a scotch-brite scrubbie. No glue residue.

--james

I know people gonna laugh...but ... I rinse as i drink any bottles and then.. when about a 12 pack, fill bottles with hot water as I fill the sink..then cap and no hassels about cleaning the inside of glue and oxiclean...soak in oxiclean for a few hours and it is the easiest thing ever... steel wool uncap..drain.. like new and so easy..

Yeah,some time after my March post I started using an overnight soak in PBW then a dobie & bottle brush to finish them off real quick.
Easier for me...

I soak them in bath tub w/ a scoop of Oxy. I do 50 bottles at a crack. Let them sit in the solution for 2hrs. Some labels fall off w/o any help (New Glarus), other lables need some finger nail help, some need a flat razor scraper.

Last phase is to rub them down with a scotch-brite scrubbie. No glue residue.

--james

Save your nails. Soak overnight and you'll never have to scratch again.

Anybody ever find an easy way to get off the labels on Crispin Cider 22oz. bombers? My local watering hole saves them for homebrewers. But IF you can get the label off (soak for 6-8 months first) the glue sits there laughing at you.

I've gotten it off with a razor blade, and then cleaning up the residue with mineral spirits. STILL not easy...and a lot of work.

I just gave away 4 cases of them 'cause I didn't want to deal with them. Nothing I've seen on this thread so far works for them.:mad:

Anybody ever find an easy way to get off the labels on Crispin Cider 22oz. bombers? My local watering hole saves them for homebrewers. But IF you can get the label off (soak for 6-8 months first) the glue sits there laughing at you.

I've gotten it off with a razor blade, and then cleaning up the residue with mineral spirits. STILL not easy...and a lot of work.

I just gave away 4 cases of them 'cause I didn't want to deal with them. Nothing I've seen on this thread so far works for them.:mad:

Use other bottles! ;)

Perfect = Bench grinder

Near perfect = angle grinder or a drill

Use a wire wheel, With safety goggles/glasses and be gentle. ALL labels, including the painted on variety, will be off the glass in about 30 seconds...make sure the bottle + label are dry or you will sling sludgy stuff everywhere...

Everything else gets a few hours soak in Oxyfree, then with a SS scrubby/brillo pad they come right off.

rico567 said:
Well, this is one of those threads where I say "I use PBW," and then someone chimes in and says "PBW is too expensive, you should use Oxi-Clean" and I say "My water is too hard, Oxi-Clean will leave a white film on the bottle, so I'm gonna keep on using PBW." There. That should save some posts.

Also- all bottles are not created equal. Saranac bottles are a *****, Sam Adams are (as detailed in earlier posts) easy. I think there may be a post somewhere with a list of hard & easy labels. Easiest bottles are those that have peel-off or shrink-on labels. Guinness bottles are a dream. Just slice off the shrink-on label, and use a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull out the plastic spaceship inside. Two Brothers are peel-off, also easy.

I have hard water also what is ONE. OXY leaves a film on my bottles also

Goof off. The rare instance I have a bottle that the glue won't come off I dampen a bit paper towel with goof off and rub the glue off the bottle with it. I only really bother with bombers.

I think it is Powdered Brewery Wash, though I don't doubt some brewers need a good cleaning occasionally. :p

Just looked it up,it is indeed "brewery" wash. Since today is retiree payday,gotta order a pound. Those little bags of it from the LHBS go too fast.:mug:

Best way to remove labels. Get some buddies tell them unlimited home brews available while they are de-labeling. :tank:

soak in a cleaner/hot water mix
use a credit card (I use sample ones from spam mail) to scrape anything remaining.

I have to do that with the last couple of Thirsty Dog bottles. Darn lacquered comp labels...I use an old paring knife I got from mom that we used since I was a little kid. Seems to me Sapporo,Smithwick's,& great lakes had to be soaked overnight,then scraped off.

Deschutes Brewery... their labels come off easy and clean after ten minutes in plain hot water.
Sam Adams... never, ever, many SA bottles in my inventory still have bits stuck to them.

Any more... I just buy swing top bottles from the brewstore, I like them better anyway.

PBW always soaks the Sam Adams labels off in no time for me. Great HB bottles. I noticed the Thirsty Dog bottles are shaped a lot like the Paulaner bottles. I like that shape,but TD's labels are a pita to get off.

Back