blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobus

Reaction score
the end of my thermometer blew off
should i toss the batch or will the mercury settle in the bottom

help

Ooh, well Id personally not drink it. How did the end of your thermometer "blow off".

Whether it settles out or not... it will be soaking in there for a while, Id personally chuck it.

technically you need to have that properly disposed of and you shouldn't just toss it down the sink either.

I wonder if this is a legit question though...

Are you sure it was a Mercury Thermometer and the Mercury is what fell into the batch?

If it was the little BB's in the bottom of the floating thermometer its doubtful that it was Mercury.

<EDIT>

I had a similar situation where the floating thermometer broke when i was cooling the wort. The little bb's were in the bottom of the brew kettle i found out they were not lead and the thermometer itself was not compromised however if it had the liquid in the thermometer was only red alcohol.

I would call the company you bought the thermometer from and find out what material it is made from? Most of them are non toxic so its safe if something like this happens.

PS the IPA I brewed that this happened in was amazing.

Back