beer filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themanster

Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering if anybody had any comments on using a filltration setup before kegging. ive been looking at getting one of morebeer because there only like 60 bucks and that sounds worth it for a clear beer, in my opinion. i do hard boils, use moss, do a cold crash, and gellitan in secondary but dont like the results. any comments on this would be great im looking at these two.

https://morebeer.com/view_product/5759/beerwinecoffee/Plate_Filter_Kit_-_Deluxe

https://morebeer.com/view_product/16769/102301/Beer_Filtering_Kit

use a water filter from home depot for $20. add keg connects to each end. use gas to push it though the filter. back flow the filter with water then star san and let dry when done. you can get 2 filters for $10 down to 1 micron I think.
same thing as the second link you have.

I have one of the More Beer filtering setups, but I've only used it a few times. I originally bought it to filter out yeast and to help clarify my beer, but the jury is still out on whether I'll continue to use it.

A huge disadvantage is that you can't reuse the filters, but you can use them for more than one beer if you filter them all at the same time.

I used the 3 micron nominal filters with the idea of getting rid of the majority of the yeast, but I question if this is really necessary given enough cold conditioning and time (and depending on yeast strain).

My beers have never been crystal clear, but clear enough for me (for now :)), but the two beers I filtered last year and lagered for several months did end up crystal clear. I'm not sure if it was the filtering, lagering, or combination that did this.

I suppose I could do an experiment, but I'm lazy...

-Steve

I have the second filter system listed. 2 1-micron filters for $6 and sometimes 3 at HD. Push at 3# and it clears right up.

I use one from B3 the FIL40. I dont use it all the time but if I am going to use it I line up all my beers and go for it. I use the 1 micron, you still have to let it set to get it clear, it dosen't come out of the filter clear. but it will clear up a tun faster if you filter it.
just filter SLOOOOW.
Cheers
JJ

well im glad im not the only guy who has thought about using one, i kind of thought i would be stuck with the budwieser drinkers for thinking about filtering. the prices for the deluxe ones filters is definetly cheaper so that was the one i was leaning towards.

If you are kegging, it will clear naturally in the keg. I've stopped using irish moss and other clarifying agents all together. After a couple weeks every pour is crystal clear.

If you are kegging, it will clear naturally in the keg. I've stopped using irish moss and other clarifying agents all together. After a couple weeks every pour is crystal clear.

I've noticed this too. At first my keg was sorta cloudy I imagine from the yeast sediment. Then after a couple weeks it's super clear. I've always thought filtering would be cool but didn't want to invest the time or $ into it.

I wonder what the average post count of the OPs when they post "filter" questions.

Filters have their place and it's usually when you need clear beer faster like when you're in commercial production. I know it's hard to be patient when you have like 1 batch in the pipeline. The only reasonable way to fix it is to brew a lot more so you can lay off the earlier batches. I still have a hard time with patience.

If you are kegging, it will clear naturally in the keg. After a couple weeks every pour is crystal clear.

I agree w/ Brewsmith and Bobby. Kegging and a little patients is the way to go, not filtering. If having the first glass being a little cloudy is an issue simply bend the dip tube upward slightly or cut off an inch.

one of the things I have found about filtering is you dont have to worry about moving your keg and stiring up a bunch of stuff. I take kegs to parties all the time and I notice that when I dont filter Ill have cloudy beer at the party even if the keg has sat for weeks, just moving it from my house to the party stirs up sediment. if I have a beer that I know I am going to serve to the masses, I filter, and sometimes I will run it through the filter twice.
But thats just me
JJ

I think the answer to that is to simply do a closed transfer to a fresh keg. In filtering, you'd have to do that anyway. Since the first keg is now flowing clear, you should be able to move it all over to a clean keg and leave the sediment behind.

I have that first one you listed from morebeer, the deluxe version. It works great and got my beer really clear with the "rough" pad. I have a hard time with that whole "patientence" thing.

I think the answer to that is to simply do a closed transfer to a fresh keg. In filtering, you'd have to do that anyway. Since the first keg is now flowing clear, you should be able to move it all over to a clean keg and leave the sediment behind.

I agree, if I'm going take my keg on a road trip rather than serve out of the keg I used as a secondary like I usually do. I'll do an extra transfer. You don't need extra patience unless you usually drink your beer green. The 3-4 weeks in the secondary/keg clears my beer up just fine. Of course getting a good clean rack from the primary helps too.

I wonder what the average post count of the OPs when they post "filter" questions.

Filters have their place and it's usually when you need clear beer faster like when you're in commercial production. I know it's hard to be patient when you have like 1 batch in the pipeline. The only reasonable way to fix it is to brew a lot more so you can lay off the earlier batches. I still have a hard time with patience.

This is my exact problem. its hard for me to wait anything over 4 weeks, i just want to drink the darn beer.

I think there should be a general standard to set for yourself. Don't think of buying a filter until you've brewed at least 20 batches and let at least 3 of them age in secondary for more than 3 weeks. Once you acheive clear beer with patience, go ahead and try filtering. You'll probably find it to be too much trouble to bother with after that.

This is my exact problem. its hard for me to wait anything over 4 weeks, i just want to drink the darn beer.

You'll be very surprised at how much better your beer is if it's aged properly
Cold crashing green beer isn't good either let it age at fermantation temp
One of the best ways I know to give yourself a headache is to drink green beer

Just buy commercial beer and forget about it until it's ready or taste one small glass every week until it's ready

That last week really makes the biggest difference IMO

Extended secondary, followed by a cold crash in the secondary in the exact position I will be transferring to a keg, produced brilliant beers that can travel. Time is the best clarifying agent, and does not strip your beer of flavor. I generally leave my beers in secondary for 6 weeks or more, then transfer to keg and carb up. I don't really have a patience problem though.

I think there should be a general standard to set for yourself. Don't think of buying a filter until you've brewed at least 20 batches and let at least 3 of them age in secondary for more than 3 weeks. Once you acheive clear beer with patience, go ahead and try filtering. You'll probably find it to be too much trouble to bother with after that.
I completly agree. I bought a filter about a year and a half ago, which ive only used once i might add. Looking back i bought it to counter act my poor brewing and lack of patience. I am still impatient but my brewing skills have moved forward. I IMO have brewed some pretty clear beers since then. Do yourself a favor and not buy a filter and just work on your brewing. You will be glad you didnt waste that money on a filter.

Kegs are supposed to last a couple of weeks? :drunk::mug:

this is my exact problem, i brewed on the 8 of january, kegged on the 21st, and was done drinking it by the 5th of feb.. thats just over a month from brew date to no more beer..,, so for my birthday on the 13th of feb my wife bought me the morebeer plate filter system. now my question for those who do have it, do i need to secondary and coldcrash before using bc on first use it clod the filter on a brown ale that was only in primary.. granted it was in primary for 1 week and 4 days.. which is plenty long for a 5.5% beer.. i have another ale that is a week in primary today and wondering if i should switch to secondary and coldcrash it til saturday and then try filtering again.. i dont want my wifes present to go to waste.. please help out with this.. any morebeer plate filter owners out there!!!

Back