e-Brewery (& Kiln) controller - suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbthuis

Reaction score
Hi – I have admired P-J’s diagrams for some time and decided to go for it. But of course, my build will be slightly different. I am using three 12V GreatBrewHe.com pumps controlled by PWM motor controllers. I also have 3 heater element outputs, two controlled by Auberdine SYL-2352 controllers and one controlled by the SYL-2352P with the Ramp/Soak capability (I want to also be able to control a kiln with it). When I control the kiln, the ‘RIMS-Kiln’ output will be 240V and the BK and HTL elements are disabled. When I run the controller for brewing, the BK and HTL outputs are enabled and the 'RIMS-Kiln' output is switched to 120v. With a 4500W-240V RIMS element running at 120V, the effective power for the RIMs is 1375 watts. I am powering the whole thing through a 50 Amp GFCI spa breaker box.

I don’t know what program P-J uses, so I cut/pasted in Paint to make the changes I wanted. However I would love to get feedback on it. Does anyone see things I missed???

P-J, if you see this, THANK YOU! Your postings are a great help to me and others. I hope you do not mind that I used your designs as my starting point. And anything you can add is appreciated.

Here is my proposed design. Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.
ebrew_wiring_draft_1.1.jpg

John

I would do this as two separate projects, a brewery control and a separate kiln control. I know that this involves extra cost, but I wouldn't like having to set new parameters into the PID each time I want to use the other function. Forget once and you might loose a kiln full of ceramics, or worse, a batch of beer. You can see my perspective rather than my wife's, she does work with porcelain.

Hi ChuckO - good comments, but as I am both the kiln person (glass) and the brewer, I am comfortable with the risk and will probably go for it, at least initially.

I am working on some updates to my schematic, by the way. I am changing some switches to add an "interlock", so that for example, the RIMS element will not be energized unless the RIMS pump is also running. Things like that. I'll post it once I get it done.

Back