Unintentional aging experiment: 7 weeks in primary,, oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
I have this brew that has been sitting around for oh, id say just shy of 2 months in my basement in the primary carboy sitting on its cake of US-05 at around 40 F. simple lighter beer cream ale like. the grains i used were pilsen, carapils, flaked corn and rice,, and one hop addition of 1.00 crystal at 40 minutes.

Unfortunately with the holiday rush,work and 4 crazy kids, and an in process brewery on the build, i let the brew go to the wayside and havent really thought much of it. Some master of my hobby, right?

Im wondering the outcome of the brew if i try to bottle it,, it looks amazing, crystal clear and beautiful light straw color. i was considering raising the temp and trying to D rest it but im wondering if its really needed. anyone wanna chime in on my experiment?

:tank:

I have one sitting in primary that I brewed on Christmas Day. I wouldn't worry, just bottle it and let it prime up.

yeah i figures as much.. im just wondering what kinda flavors i might get from sitting on the cake so long,, or if my cake would be viable for harvest and re use after.

Should be fine. Take a gravity sample and drink it. It will tell you more about the beer than anyone here can guess at.

You shouldn't have any off flavors from sitting on the cake for seven weeks. I've had beer sit on the cake for three and four months at a time. The cake will still be viable.

I have a 100% brett beer that is in the "primary" since last May with no sign of autolysis. You'll be fine.

Should be good off flavors from yeast i find is nothing to do with how long its been on the yeast cake. Its all about a healthy fermentation.

thanks for the input. Now ive just gotta find time to bottle this beast with the crazy schedule!

I have a crazy lambic/quad hybrid I brewed on Christmas 2010 still sitting in primary. :p

You'll be fine.

Long story short... I had a bad batch (keg...) in september and it discouraged me from any brewing activities until this past weekend. I had a 60 minute clone that I brewed before labor day but never got around to bottling. This past weekend after sitting 5 months on the yeast and dry hops I decided to either dump it or keg it. I drew a sample and to my surprise it was not bad. I kegged it on Saturday and force carbed it on Sunday.... it actually came out pretty damn good.

I've had beers in primary for over 6 months before and they turned out fine. Nothing to worry about....I've got a couple batches that I've not been able to bottle, that I brewed before christmas. Ain't no big thing.

That old idea of off flavors from the yeast is 30 years outdated, and had to do with yeast health and freshness, which modern yeast more than surpasses in both.

Back