Switches for 20 amp outlets...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Basically I only have 120v service. I use two 2000w elements in two keggles, one as BK and other as HLT. Each element is plugged into it's own 20amp gfci.

When I only had the BK and did no sparge, it was two switches to turn on the kettle. Now I have a HLT and two more switches. Add in another pump and I've got switches everywhere. I'd like to build a panel with a switch that could turn on both elements in the keggle with one switch. Then repeat for the HLT.

I know, it's odd. Anyone know my options, though?

Using a contactor will let you do that. I don't have my schematic on me but I am building somethimg similar for my biab.

If you get the chance to post your schematic it would be a big help. I have never wired a contactor before. I assume you just wire the switch to both contactors, though, correct?

I'm far from an expert here, but it sounds like you just need a couple of DPST switches. Something like these:

4-BLADES, ON/OFF, CHROME HANDLE, MEDIUM DUTY

Each switch has two poles so you can use one switch to toggle the hot leg on two elements simultaneously.

-Mike

That makes sense. So two separate 120v inputs and two separate outs. Both always on or always off.

Thanks, Mike.

I guess I'm going with 2 SPST switches and 2 DPST contactors. Thanks for the help.

You only need a DPST contactor, (most common). Hot wire for element 1 goes through pole 1, hot wire for element 2 goes through pole 2. Hot wire from either 1 or 2 goes through your SPST switch and to the coil, (and a neutral wire goes to the other side of the coil). Get a contactor with a 120V coil to make things easy on yourself.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KGSJ74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 will work great. I bought two of these and they work well...total is around $15 including shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of these at Home Depot. It was the only thing like it in the store, but exactly what I needed. I use it for 240VAC, but I think it would switch both of your 120V elements just fine. Double Pole. In the second pic, it's the one on the right (looks just like a standard toggle). I also used one as a switch to kill all power to my brewery (mounted in a wet-safe housing, also from HD). Just some food for thought. Good luck.

Leviton_30A_240V_DPST_Switch.jpg

Toolbox_Front_Panel.JPG

240V_Outlet_and_Switch.JPG

Sounds like you have it figured out Dgonza :mug:, (before, you said DPDT contactors...that was the reason for my correction, stating that you only need DPST contactors...)

Sounds like you have it figured out Dgonza :mug:, (before, you said DPDT contactors...that was the reason for my correction, stating that you only need DPST contactors...)

Whooops! I just changed the post so no one gets confused if they have the same issue.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Cheers!:mug:

Back