American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again yooper!!! my shopping list has been updated and I should be ready to go as soon as I can get a free weekend to brew :D

Just brewed this up tonight. I made my first ever yeast starter a day ahead of time, but wasn't thinking when I took the DME out of the DME I was going to use for this recipe. I used 8 pounds minus the 1/2 cup of DME I used for my starter. My OG was 1.060 which is a bit low for this recipe, is that caused by the missing DME or am I over estimating how much a 1/2 cup difference will effect a recipe?

I am however really looking forward to this as this is my first ever full boil :) Thanks again Yooper!

I racked my first batch out of the secondary last night and started force carbing. I had a few friends over so we decided to sample a bit. Even mostly flat and about 2 1/2 weeks old it was excellent. Yooper was right. The hops are amazing especially when this beer is young. I WILL brew this again soon!

I racked my first batch out of the secondary last night and started force carbing. I had a few friends over so we decided to sample a bit. Even mostly flat and about 2 1/2 weeks old it was excellent. Yooper was right. The hops are amazing especially when this beer is young. I WILL brew this again soon!

Um, you know that I'm in Florida at this moment, right? And I won't be back until after March 1?

I swear, there had BETTER be some of that keg left for me to sample when I get home!

Is that the batch I watched, where you had a stuck mash, then a stuck sparge, then problems with your chiller at the end? It seems like the most f'd up brew days give you the best beer.

That's my first batch when I get home, I think. Bob is requesting Hugh_Jass' amber ale- he sent us one and Bob fell in love with that beer. So I might have to accomodate him and make that recipe next, and then the IPA, but either way I have to get it made when I get home!

Just brewed this up tonight. I made my first ever yeast starter a day ahead of time, but wasn't thinking when I took the DME out of the DME I was going to use for this recipe. I used 8 pounds minus the 1/2 cup of DME I used for my starter. My OG was 1.060 which is a bit low for this recipe, is that caused by the missing DME or am I over estimating how much a 1/2 cup difference will effect a recipe?

I am however really looking forward to this as this is my first ever full boil :) Thanks again Yooper!

I don't know how much 1/2 cup of DME will affect the SG- but it shouldn't be that much. I would bet that the alcohol in the starter also skewed your readings, if you pitched the whole thing. It doesn't matter, though- it'll be good anyway, I promise!

Um, you know that I'm in Florida at this moment, right? And I won't be back until after March 1?

I swear, there had BETTER be some of that keg left for me to sample when I get home!

Is that the batch I watched, where you had a stuck mash, then a stuck sparge, then problems with your chiller at the end? It seems like the most f'd up brew days give you the best beer.

That's my first batch when I get home, I think. Bob is requesting Hugh_Jass' amber ale- he sent us one and Bob fell in love with that beer. So I might have to accomodate him and make that recipe next, and then the IPA, but either way I have to get it made when I get home!

I thought you were on vacation! Just can't stay away from HBT eh? Me either.

I will do my best to save you some (no promises). I told Troy we should make sure have some when you get back, his response after tasting: "yeah right". It's just too good - even flat, cloudy and too warm!

That WAS the messed up batch that you witnessed. All has turned out well though.

I am sure we will at least have some Nightmare Amber for Bob to try when you get back though. I will let that one age a bit.

Hope you are having a good time! It's cold and snowing here (like you care)!

Just brewed this one on Saturday (AG). Was itching to get to it in the queue. Like one of the previous posts said - it was nice to have something to do for an hour (continuous hopping).

I hit my mash temp a few degrees too high - yeah, shame on me... OG ended up at 1.070 so I guess I'll have to see how far it falls, which leads me to my question... Used a day old, 1L starter from a stir plate of 1 smackpack of Pacman (that's a lot of "acks"). It was churning nicely for 24 hours, then took a quick turn towards sleepy time... Seems to have settled down after about one day. Went from 1 bubble in airlock every 3 seconds down to about 1 every 14. I know, trust not the bubble - but your hydrometer. Just don't want to crack it open this early. Should I so I can RDWHAHB or did I underpitch, chill the heck out or????

I don't know how much 1/2 cup of DME will affect the SG- but it shouldn't be that much. I would bet that the alcohol in the starter also skewed your readings, if you pitched the whole thing. It doesn't matter, though- it'll be good anyway, I promise!

I did pitch the whole thing in, but I took the gravity reading prior to pitching the starter....you normally take the OG before pitching the yeast don't you?

Either way I'll take your word that it will be good :D, I was more just trying to figure out what happened and why I was that far off for my own personal brewing education. Guess I'll just have to wait and see, and then try again(twist my arm :D) and see what happens with a second batch

one other thing, could too many/few hops cause the lower OG? I forgot to pick up a scale so I got to brewing and I had a bunch of 1oz packets that I wound up dividing in half, and quarter for the .75 of warriors, it is certianly a possibility that I divided unevenly.

Actually one thing and then I swear I'm done with questions for now :mug: Any thoughts on adding additional hops to the secondary for dry hopping since I have more than the recipe called for sitting in zip lock bags in the fridge right now. I have .25oz warrior pellets, 1.5oz amarillo gold leaf hops, and .5oz Simco leaf hops. I was planning on just throwing that all into the secondary since I didn't know what else to do with the extra, or am I going overbaord with the hops....assuming that's possible?

Well... I may have answered my own question. Today I had large yeast families just barely visible rising from the ashes up about 60% to the surface before falling back. Still lots of clingers to the side of the carboy almmost to the top - which in the past seems to coincide with active yeasties. So guess it just wasn't as vigorous for as long as I'd expected for this relatively big beer. I'll forget about it til the weekend...

going for more of a 90ish thing. adjusted hops for what we have pounds of. any suggestions/ideas?

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/27/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 70 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (70 min) Hops 31.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz citra [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz citra [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
1 Pkgs PACMAN! Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 66.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
Sparge Water: 5.37 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
70 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 165.4 F 153.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 10.2 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 38.0 F Age for: 0.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Hi Yooper,
Just wanted to thank you for this awesome recipe! I brewed this as 12/06/09 true to your original recipe, single fermentation for 21 days then bottled on 12/27/09. My OG was 1.066 and FG 1.012, ABV 7.05. I did use WLP #001 California Ale Yeast. It has been bottle conditioned now for 2 months today and tasted so fantastic. I drank several today while brewing this beer again. I was able to get some Pacman smack pak yeast for this brew today, so I will let you know which I prefered later.
I think this is the best beer I have made so far!

Hi Yooper,
Just wanted to thank you for this awesome recipe! I brewed this as 12/06/09 true to your original recipe, single fermentation for 21 days then bottled on 12/27/09. My OG was 1.066 and FG 1.012, ABV 7.05. I did use WLP #001 California Ale Yeast. It has been bottle conditioned now for 2 months today and tasted so fantastic. I drank several today while brewing this beer again. I was able to get some Pacman smack pak yeast for this brew today, so I will let you know which I prefered later.
I think this is the best beer I have made so far!

I'm glad it came out so well for you. It's definitely my favorite, too. I've done it with different malts, and a few subs, but I really like the amarillo/simcoe combination in all those late hops. It just seems like the hops flavor is overwhelming, in a good way.

I thought you were on vacation! Just can't stay away from HBT eh? Me either.

I will do my best to save you some (no promises). I told Troy we should make sure have some when you get back, his response after tasting: "yeah right". It's just too good - even flat, cloudy and too warm!

That WAS the messed up batch that you witnessed. All has turned out well though.

I am sure we will at least have some Nightmare Amber for Bob to try when you get back though. I will let that one age a bit.

Hope you are having a good time! It's cold and snowing here (like you care)!

Holy ****! The Beer Fairy came today. When I got home from work, there were 4 Grolsch bottles of this IPA, and a nice new diptube!!!!!!

(I assume my Fairy is lschiavo, so don't get too excited people. The Beer Fairy is probably not real...................)

Anyway, this beer is fantastic. I think the soft water (or at least the less alkaline water) that was used made it better than mine. Nice firm bitterness, without harshness. Awesome hop aroma and flavor. Now I'm dying to brew this again.

Oh I'm real! But I dont like being called a fairy!

Glad to hear you liked it! I was hoping to find you brewing today and help you fit the diptube. It may need a little trimming to work in your kettle. I left it a little long so it can be trimmed for the best fit. Let me know your next brew day and I'll try to stop in.

Oh I'm real! But I dont like being called a fairy!

Glad to hear you liked it! I was hoping to find you brewing today and help you fit the diptube. It may need a little trimming to work in your kettle. I left it a little long so it can be trimmed for the best fit. Let me know your next brew day and I'll try to stop in.

I'm brewing tomorrow, after I do some work. Maybe mashing in around 11 AM. Otherwise, probably next Wednesday. I want to make this DFH clone next week to have it taste just like yours, but would like to skip the stuck mash and stuck sparge. I'm using my CFC for the first time tomorrow, so I'll see how I do at not having a problem with hops clogging my "old" diptube before I make this IPA.

Yooper,
I'm brewing this on the 13th and I need to work up the water profile. Did you make any modifications to your water?

Chris

Thank you Yooper!!!!

You're probably sick of hearing this by now but this recipe rocks! After 2 weeks in primary, 1 week dry hopping in secondary I finally took a gravity reading and this is the first brew I've ever made that I actually drank the entire sample :mug: (note this is only my 3rd brew). Even poured it into a glass with a few pieces of hops that made it into my sample floating around :D I can't wait for this to carb up. I was planning on bottling on Sunday assuming that my gravity is still at 1.017, but I was just curious if it would be beneficial to give it another week or 2 in secondary just to let it dryhop more, or is 1 week good?

Thanks again!

Yooper,
I'm brewing this on the 13th and I need to work up the water profile. Did you make any modifications to your water?

Chris

Yes, I have very hard, alkaline water so I used RO water and my tap water mixed along with some gypsum to get the right water profile. I've done it with my water straight, too, with good results.

Thank you Yooper!!!!

You're probably sick of hearing this by now but this recipe rocks! After 2 weeks in primary, 1 week dry hopping in secondary I finally took a gravity reading and this is the first brew I've ever made that I actually drank the entire sample :mug: (note this is only my 3rd brew). Even poured it into a glass with a few pieces of hops that made it into my sample floating around :D I can't wait for this to carb up. I was planning on bottling on Sunday assuming that my gravity is still at 1.017, but I was just curious if it would be beneficial to give it another week or 2 in secondary just to let it dryhop more, or is 1 week good?

Thanks again!

A week of dryhopping is enough, in my experience.

this recipe sounds great i love dfh 60 minute. i want to make a 5.5 gallon batch, do you think i should maybe add .5 carapils to bring the og and body back up and up the hops a little?
thanks

I tried to brew this yesterday YOOP.. brew shop didn't have either of the malts you suggested so he suggested to get me close to use victory malt. My efficiency was way down again so only hit 1.062 OG......used some washed and started s-05 yeast and had airlock activity within a couple hours............................on a side note I ran 3 gallons of sparge through the grains after getting this going and threw that in a smallpot on the stove ( something to do and some odds and ends to clean up) added in a pound of sugar and a pound +- of DME. and whatever extra hops I had laying around. ( warrior, simcoe, cascade) just put the warrior in at 60 and a few of the others ever few minutes..boiled down to 2 gallons and hit 1.070 with that one lol.....threw in some washed S-04 I had in the fridge , with no starter or anything ( did bring to room temp) this morning the airlock is dead quiet. I may pitch in some champagne yeast lol!!!

oops..just flippedthe airlock on this one and right away it started bubbling...so no champagne yeast lol!!!

this recipe sounds great i love dfh 60 minute. i want to make a 5.5 gallon batch, do you think i should maybe add .5 carapils to bring the og and body back up and up the hops a little?
thanks

I don't use carapils, so I don't know what to tell you. To increase the batch size, I'd just scale it up to 5.5 gallons instead of 5.

Yes, I have very hard, alkaline water so I used RO water and my tap water mixed along with some gypsum to get the right water profile. I've done it with my water straight, too, with good results.

Thanks Yoop. I have hard water as well, sounds like a 50/50 mix will work out well.

Hello , new to the site but really enjoy all the content :) I have recently tryed the extract version of this recipe using Safale 05 , and think I may have prematurely racked into my secondary O.G was 1.071 and after 9 days I racked not thinking to take a reading (oops rookie error I hope) but then went back a day later and did it was 1.040 will this be ok? or will I have to pitch again if I can't get the S.G down enough ? any help on this to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Hello , new to the site but really enjoy all the content :) I have recently tryed the extract version of this recipe using Safale 05 , and think I may have prematurely racked into my secondary O.G was 1.071 and after 9 days I racked not thinking to take a reading (oops rookie error I hope) but then went back a day later and did it was 1.040 will this be ok? or will I have to pitch again if I can't get the S.G down enough ? any help on this to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully it'll just keep going and not get stuck. It might slow down a bit, but it may finish up. I'd just wait and see, I guess.

I just read through all 47 pages of posts and cant wait to start brewing this! But I have a few quick questions before I do:
1. The local shop only carries crystal 30 and 60, is 1 lb of 30 good?
2. Would 2 weeks in the primary, and 2 weeks in the secondary dry hopping work, or should the hops only be added with 3-10 days left in the secondary?
3. And finally the low availability of warrior hops forces me to ask which of the replacements seem to work best: nugget > galena > magnum?

looking forward to getting this brew underway!

I just read through all 47 pages of posts and cant wait to start brewing this! But I have a few quick questions before I do:
1. The local shop only carries crystal 30 and 60, is 1 lb of 30 good?
2. Would 2 weeks in the primary, and 2 weeks in the secondary dry hopping work, or should the hops only be added with 3-10 days left in the secondary?
3. And finally the low availability of warrior hops forces me to ask which of the replacements seem to work best: nugget > galena > magnum?

looking forward to getting this brew underway!

1. Yes, that should be ok. I assume it's a British malt, since they have "weird" measurements. (Kidding, kidding- but it probably is a British malt).

2. I like to dryhop for no more than 10 days. You can go a bit longer if you have to, but I'd probably add them about a week before bottling. Or go longer in the primary, and rack to the secondary only to dryhop.

3. Any of those would work, I think. I'd probably go with galena if you have it, but I've used magnum with good results. The nugget would be my third choice.

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here - this will be my first AG brew as soon as the supplies arrive on my doorstep.

Thanks in advance to Mrs. Yooper for putting the recipe together, and keeping up on the thread for a couple years. ;)

Thanks for the quick response yooper, and just like pernox, thanks for checking this thread for the last few years. Am I safe to keep this in a plastic bucket for the first two weeks or would you recommend glass? I have never left beer in a primary that long and have concerns over oxygen permeability.

Thanks for the quick response yooper, and just like pernox, thanks for checking this thread for the last few years. Am I safe to keep this in a plastic bucket for the first two weeks or would you recommend glass? I have never left beer in a primary that long and have concerns over oxygen permeability.

I always leave it in the bucket, sometimes for 3 weeks or longer. It's a "big" beer, and it takes a while to be really finished. Even when the fermentation is basically over, the yeast go back and digest their own waste products. It's fine in an "ale pail" for at least a month.

Well this is my 3rd batch of brew on the go and the FG is still extremely high after 10 days. 1.05!

I made Blue balls belgian wit, and a All Amarillo IPA both of which the FGs are still high after 1 month in the bucket.

Am I crazy or could my hydrometer be broken?

There is no activity at all in the airlock which leads me to believe something seriously is going wrong with all my latest brews!

Well this is my 3rd batch of brew on the go and the FG is still extremely high after 10 days. 1.05!

I made Blue balls belgian wit, and a All Amarillo IPA both of which the FGs are still high after 1 month in the bucket.

Am I crazy or could my hydrometer be broken?

Wow- is there a krausen, or remnants of a krausen around the top of the fermenter? Check your hydrometer now by using water (distilled if you have it, tap if not). It should be 1.000.

Make sure your hydrometer is free-floating, not touching the bottom or sides of the test jar.

Wow- is there a krausen, or remnants of a krausen around the top of the fermenter? Check your hydrometer now by using water (distilled if you have it, tap if not). It should be 1.000.

Make sure your hydrometer is free-floating, not touching the bottom or sides of the test jar.

just did a tap test and its coming out at around 1.002

Here is a snapshot of the top taken 5 min ago. sorry for the large photo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZdR1AjzO6Bk/S6f_3ZSa4CI/AAAAAAAAAKE/oOM_qSunHMk/s1600-h/DSC00825.JPG

its odd because im not doing anything out of the ordinary than what i normally do.

i did have to turn the heat up a bit more in the house due to it being winter, however it was only around 18 degC

Well, you've definitely got a krausen, so I guess you just have to be patient.

How many packages of yeast did you use, and what type?

18C is a great temp for ales- is that the room temperature, or do you have a thermometer strip on the outside of the fermenter?

Back