Does Founder's Brewery have tours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hey all, Unless I'm missing something I cannot find any information on Founder's website about tours.

Has anyone been there before and taken a tour?

I'm gonna e-mail them but just wanted to check here too. Thanks!

I took a tour when we were on a bus trip to local breweries. It's been a couple years and they have expanded several times. I know they have added capacity and changed over the bottling line since then. I don't think they offer tours normally. You can look through the windows and see some things, but really it is like many breweries, a bunch of stainless steel tanks.

IMO, it's best to get a brewery tour at the really small breweries. Here in Atlanta, Sweetwater's "tour" revolves around music and a tasting. The best tour I've had around here is with the newest brewery to GA: Jailhouse brewery. They offer a really nice long, personalized tour (even if their equipment is no frills) as well as the largest "tasting" glasses of anyone I've seen. The bigger the brewery, the less the interesting it is for the actual science of brewing (it might have some values for seeing how automated/compartmentalized the whole thing can go). But if you're a homebrewer, chances are you're just looking to see how to step up your process to a brewery scale.

Well, the reason I'm asking is because I'm taking a trip up to Michigan this saturday. I'm going to Founder's brewpub for my birthday. Figured I would take a tour while I'm up there.

Anyone know if there are any other cool breweries to visit while I'm up there?
I've been to Bell's before. Hopcat looks pretty cool. Thanks again for the help!

Brewery Vivant just opened up - they have a Belgian focus and it's in a pretty cool looking building. They also have the Hideout Brewery. I went to Hideout years ago when it was called something else; at that time there was a hot tub place in the same building right next to it. (!?) Good beer but all you could smell was chemicals. Maybe Hideout took over the entire building and the smell has faded?

Which way are you going to be traveling? Are you going to take 94 to 31 or 131? Are you going to GR one way and going home the other?

I will just reinforce what everyone else said. Founders, Hopcat, and New Holland. Bells in Kzoo is alright but since their brewery is not in Kzoo its not as exciting.

Let's not forget Arcadia Ales too in Battle Creek, which is not that far from the aforementioned establishments.

Let's not forget Arcadia Ales too in Battle Creek, which is not that far from the aforementioned establishments.

Arcadia was a fun place to tour the Brewery. I don't know if they still offer a tour but you can check with them. It's a bit different, more wood and brick then all the stainless steel newer breweries.

Hopcat has an impressive beer list, I think they have close to 100 craft beers on draft. The bar is set up really cool, and classy. The hideout is worth checking out, they have a nitro tap, which when I was there they had a hazelnut coffee stout. It was very good. But if your going to Founders Brewpub, you might not leave. They have bands at night, and it gets packed. The only problem is most of the beers are so high gravity, that your bombed after a few, stick with the samples. You should have a great time. Allso BOB is down the road, but it was not that great in my eyes.

Hey Primetime we might stop at Hopcat just because it's 2 minutes down the road! How are the beer prices there?

Call them up. If they are as cool as their sales rep (John) they send here then I'm sure they would be more than happy to show you around.

From GR, definitely do New Holland you won't regret it. Head up North to Traverse City and do North Peak, Mackinaw and Right Brain. Up the bay a little is Shorts, you are that close DO NOT skip Shorts.
Check with the Michigan Brewers Guild for any new breweries/pubs.
Also be sure to stop by and see me on your way home to drop off some Growlers ;)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Latest posts

Back