Official HBT Meatloaf Thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My high school girlfriend and I used to listen to Paradise By The Dashboard Light when we were...wait, oh not that kind of meatloaf. Sorry.

I just shape by hand, and use a turkey baster to get the grease out. It really helps get the bottom nice and crusty. A little burnt is even better.

Here goes my recipe

2 lbs hamburger (leaner is better)
1 lbs pork sausage (I prefer hot, really want to try chorizo)
1/4 to 1/2 pack of saltine crackers pulverized to dust
1 medium to large white onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
3/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar (optional)
A dash to a whole lot of ground red pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp Accent flavor enhancer (optional)
Plenty of fresh ground pepper (again optional but I love the flavor of fresh ground)

Shape into two loaves, I prefer a glass pan but metal works (I'm not sure it matters.) Set oven to 350. I use a probe thermometer inserted into the center of the larger loaf if there is one. Set to 155 if no thermometer try 45 minutes to an hour. When it's 155 pull it out of the oven (leave the temp probe in, otherwise it will bleed juices) and let it rest 10 minutes so it reabsorbs juices and rises to 160. Slice across the loaf about a 1/2 inch and serve. Refrigerate leftovers, they make amazing meatloaf sandwiches. I like mine cold on hot buttered toast.

This recipe is easily scalable the biggest loaf I've made is 12 lbs. I'll post pics when I make it again I just finished leftovers today.

:mug:

Brian

recipes aside, what techniques do you use to get the best form and edges while allowing for drainage, etc.?

Hand form the loaf and put on a rack on a sheet pan. Enough bread crumbs and you'll soak up most of the juice and keep it in the loaf itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back