Bottle Harvesting with sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I don't have a LHBS near me and dont want to place an order online just for DME. So, can I bottle harvest Bell's yeast using sugar water? Has anyone successfully done this?

It's the same issue as people wanting to make a starter with sugar rather than dme, it basically will train the yeast to eat that type of sugar rather than sugar from malt. So it's not really a good idea.

Does your grocery store carry any mexican items? Or do you live near mexican village? If so then get a couple bottles of Malta Goya,

large_316.jpg

MaltaGoya.jpg

There's also an indian version that is pretty much the same thing. I've seen it even in party stores in the Detroit area...most big box groceries with a mexican/ethnic aisle carry it....and if you are near hamtramck, the Grocery store on Jos Campau had it when I lived in Hamtown.

A lot of folks use it for starters. You have to stir it to release the carbonation, but it is pretty much unfermented malt extract and water....

Also depending on where in the city you live Homebrewshops aren't that far, there's

Kuhnhenn Brewing

* (586) 979-8361

5919 Chicago Rd, Warren, MI 48092 Get directions Cross Streets: Between Mound Rd and Flynn Ave

There's also cap n cork at 21 and garfield, and I thought there is a place in Dearborn as well...

I have a LHBS in Waterford near my house, but I'm a student at CMU so during the school year theres not much around me.

Anyway thanks I'll look out for this malta goya. I guess next brew I could just take extra wort from my mash but I kinda wanted to brew an IPA with Bell's yeast next. Plus I was looking for the easiest way.

I have a LHBS in Waterford near my house, but I'm a student at CMU so during the school year theres not much around me.

Anyway thanks I'll look out for this malta goya. I guess next brew I could just take extra wort from my mash but I kinda wanted to brew an IPA with Bell's yeast next. Plus I was looking for the easiest way.

Ah, so you are not actually in Detroit right now.... yeah outside of DME or LME, then Malta Goya is the next best thing.

So you're actually in MT Pleasant, right now????

According to Google/Beer advocate,

Old Mission Party Store
5030 S. Mission Rd.
Mount Pleasant, Michigan, 48858
United States
phone: (989) 773-3001

Has some homebrew supplies, so they HAVE to have some form of extract, even a can of MR Beer UME would work to make starters/harvest...give them a call....

just save the bottle of bell's for the next time. life's too short to to be cheap with that stuff. patience pays off. :mug:

and malta is easy to come by and cheap. most supermarkets will have some.

That's another thought....If there's a bed bath and beyond, or even a big box store they might have some MR Beer refill packs really cheap...that would work, and even be batter than malta goya.....BB&B sells mr beer kits.

Old Mission Party Store
5030 S. Mission Rd.
Mount Pleasant, Michigan, 48858
United States
phone: (989) 773-3001

Has some homebrew supplies, so they HAVE to have some form of extract, even a can of MR Beer UME would work to make starters/harvest...give them a call....

Yeah, they have a few things. They definitely have malt extract.

I wouldn't use sugar for a couple of reasons. One is that you need to have the yeast reproduce quite a bit, and you'll need healthy yeast to do that. Also, you want the yeast to do a good job on fermenting maltose, the primary fermentable in malt. I don't think having them grow and reproduce on sucrose will give you acceptable results.

I wouldn't use sugar for a couple of reasons. One is that you need to have the yeast reproduce quite a bit, and you'll need healthy yeast to do that. Also, you want the yeast to do a good job on fermenting maltose, the primary fermentable in malt. I don't think having them grow and reproduce on sucrose will give you acceptable results.

Thanks, I was having a senior moment coming up with the different sugar names. :D

I live within walking distance of that party store and buy beer from there all the time. My problem is the homebrew supplies are just way too expensive. A pound of 2-row is like $3.50. I know I checked out DME and I think I remember the price being like $8/lb or something.

In another note they do have a great beer selection and a whole shelf of single 12 oz bottles that sell for less than half bomber price. Stone Beers are $1.99/12 oz and $4.99/22 oz. Unrelated, but since we were talking about that place. I'm 99% sure walmart has malta goya anyway.

Back