Fermentation/clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamroller

Reaction score
What's up everyone? I'm brewing my second batch.(pale ale) The directions say to ferment for a week then bottle. With the first batch I followed the directions and the end result was a yeasty tasting beer that i dumped. I had even let the bottles condition for a month.

With some research on this site I have learned to let the beer go a little longer.(2 to 3 weeks) I might add that I have only done primary fermentation. To get to the point, the beer seems to be settling well but still a little cloudy towards the bottom. I plan on bottling at day 15 1/2. Right now I'm at day number 14.

Should I transfer the brew to my bottling bucket and quickly clean my carboy then transfer back for a secondary fermentation for a couple more days or let it go and hope for the best?

Also, how long can you keep a brew in for primary fermentation? Is 3 weeks correct?

Thanx everyone and sorry for the long post....concerned about my brew and excited about this wonderful hobby I've discovered!

Don't be concerned about your beer and, although it's hard for a new brewer, don't be in too big of hurry to bottle.

I use Irish moss in my beers and leave them for 4+ weeks in primary and have crystal clear, clean tasting beer. Leave your batch another week in the primary and you will probably be much happier with this batch.

Don't be concerned about your beer and. although it's hard for a new brewer, don't be in too big of hurry to bottle.

I use Irish moss in my beers and leave them for 4+ weeks in primary and have crystal clear, clean tasting beer. Leave your batch another week in the primary and you will probably be much happier with this batch.

Just cuirious, what is Irish Moss? Thanks.

Even though I only just bottled my first beer, I had tremendous success with clarity using a long primary and secondary. A quirk of bad scheduling left me with a 2 week primary fermentation, and nearly 3 weeks in my secondary. When I bottled yesterday, the beer was crystal-clear at 68degF.

Back