135-165L substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
I need a substitute for .25lb of Dark Chrystal 135-165L for King Brians ESB.
I have plenty of 10L and 60L. Can I, for instance, double the amount of 60L and add some 10L?
It's obvious that I am fairly new at this.
My LHBS doesn't carry and checking with catalogs from NB and BW they don't either.
Thanks

No, "adding" up several different kinds won't give you the same effect. Lighter crystals are sweet and carmelly, and the darker ones are raisiny and almost like burnt toffee.

I keep crystal 120L on hand, but I've never used anything darker. 120L is easy to find, so you could probably use that if you can't find the grains called for in the recipe. I think Midwest supplies has the darker stuff, though, if you want to get the exact ingredients. The darker one that's in the recipe will have more of a burnt sugar taste to it.

thanks for the quick answer.
Could you answer another question?
What is Aromatic malt. I see some recipes call for it but do not see listed either?

Aromatic malt is a very "malty" malt, if that makes sense. It gives a malty flavor and aroma to the beer, and it does it in very small amounts. I've used 4-8 ounces in some recipes. I did hear of someone on this forum making a 100% aromatic malt beer, though- I think it might have been Ohiobrewtus.

It's a common malt, and I keep some on hand. It can convert itself in a mash.

Back