Stone and Smuttynose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
Anyone know why these two IPA's seem to taste so much more bitter than other IPA's? Is it the bittering hops they use, less malt, etc?

Stone prides themselves on their bitterness. They use a 90 minute boil, a large 90 minute hop addition and the rest at flame out or dry hop. Don't know about Smuttynose.

Smuttynose also uses Simcoe and Amarillo, which may add some of the "different" flavors than your used to.

I personally love the Smutty IPA, it is a nice change of pace from the other IPA's out there.

True Ruination is not the hop bomb that it claims to be as far aas most are concerned. Stone really focuses on the bittering. There are much more hoppy beers out there, especially when it comes to aroma and flavor additions. I love Stone, but I'd rather have a pliny and a ruination any day.

Would be interesting to compare their water profiles too. Stone and Smuttynose are two of my favorite breweries.

2 or my favorite breweries as well. Love the bittering and aroma of Stone and the complexity of Smuttynose.

Back