2nd batch.....I thought it was bad...then....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
This is my second batch and it didn't start well.

I was going to brew a Hefe and well....I didn't read the instructions on the back of the Wyeast liquid yeast packet very well.

The first instruction, that a three year old could understand, was "locate the inner pouch." Thinking of nothing but drinking beer, I OPENED the packet and now knew I was screwed. I then transfered everthing to a sanitized ziploc bag and broke the inner pouch of yeast. Which I learned when I checked on it twenty minutes later had a leak in it and I lost some nutrient and yeast.

I then put it in another ziploc and after two hours it was percolating.

I brewed, it looked good, although the recipe said to bring the grains almost to a boil and then let sit for ten minutes (I thought there was a 150 - 160F temp range???).

Well I steep, boil and pitch the yeast and this morning I go to look at the action, if any.

I remember pounding down the lid of the bucket b/c if I didn't then it would have slopped over the side as I transferred it down to our storage unit.

I go and check on it this morning and there isn't anything movement in the airlock (filled with Vodka), but I notice the beer going crazy through the bucket (like soda water with the bubbles).

I then check the lid and it is popped off and not sealed.

Should I be worried?

BTW, I love beer and think of anything more fun to make and enjoy!

Please don't let my wife see that statement.

Thanks for your input,
Shawn

Nah. Having the lid slightly popped is fine. Mine doesn't even seal so I never get a single bubble in my airlock. Positive pressure of the CO2 is in your favor.

Yeah, that CO2 is pushing air out, you aren't getting much back in. Plus the fermentation would stop most infections in their tracks. And what you said about your yeast won't hurt the beer much. You might have a slow fermentation. I suppose I'd recommend it at the higher end of the fermentation temperatures. As i learned earlier, those hefe yeasts like it a little warmer, and it will help out your fermentation. You let it ferment at like 69-70, i bet there won't be any noticeable harm done.

Latest posts

Back