Blended hefe - two temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey27

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere before...

I was thinking about making a Bavarian hefeweizen using a yeast capable of both fruity-banana flavors and spicy clove flavors, depending on fermentation temperature. I would then split it into two fermenters, keeping one at the upper end of the yeast's temperature range (e.g., 80 F depending on yeast) and the other at the low end (e.g., low 60s). I would expect two very different beers from these temperatures. Then, I would mix them at bottling, thus capturing the full spectrum of phenols and esters...

Another way to go would be to mix the two half batches at a ratio that gave the best flavor profile, maybe not 1:1.

Any thoughts?

From what I've read you can achieve something similar by doing a 1/2 hour Ferulic Acid rest at 45C, thus creating lots of precursors to the clove phenols, and then fermenting at more "banana favouring" temperatures to ensure that they end up balanced.

Don't think there'd be anything wrong with doing what you suggest though. Go for it, and let us all know how it turns out!

Back