Quick question about SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBeerGuy

Reaction score
Here's a question for all you veteran brewers... I know that DME added to a gallon of water has an SG of 1.043, and LME has an SG of 1.036 when added to a gallon of water. I've read that cane sugar has an SG of 1.045 when added to a gallon of water. Assuming these statements are true, is it safe to assume that one pound of sugar (LME, DME) would contribute the amount of gravity points (45, 43 and 36 respectively) to an apple cider which has an OG of 1.050? What I mean is, if I add one pound of table sugar to one gallon of apple cider which has an OG of 1.050 the result would be 1.095? Thanks in advance.

Here's a question for all you veteran brewers... I know that DME added to a gallon of water has an SG of 1.043, and LME has an SG of 1.036 when added to a gallon of water. I've read that cane sugar has an SG of 1.045 when added to a gallon of water. Assuming these statements are true, is it safe to assume that one pound of sugar (LME, DME) would contribute the amount of gravity points (45, 43 and 36 respectively) to an apple cider which has an OG of 1.050? What I mean is, if I add one pound of table sugar to one gallon of apple cider which has an OG of 1.050 the result would be 1.095? Thanks in advance.

I could be very very wrong, so dont quote me, but i dont think thats how it works. I think its more of an equilibrium type answer, when adding 1.050+1.036 you get more of a middle ground. To me that makes sense that it'll balance out instead of boosting the gravity points.

Check out hopville.com.
When I punched in 1 gal and 2 lbs 11 oz of apple cider it gave me 1.050. When I added 1 lb of cane sugar it did give me 1.095.

Edit. Read OP wrong so this while accurate is not what he asked
If you 1 gallon each. Then it will be 1.050 + 1.036 / 2 where 2 is the total number of gallons. 2.086/ 2 = 1.043

LOL Sorry for the confusion, fellas. It's just something I was thinking about because I wanted to boost the ABV potential of my next cider.

Back