Input on Begginner Setup?! Help appreciated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnVinoVeritas

Reaction score
Hello all. I have caught the bug. I am ready to begin brewing my own beer...

But, I am having some questions about a good beginner setup.

Do I need a secondary fermenter? Would you recommend buying one as part of a kit only to use later? I am leaning towards the PET carboys...

Here is what I am thinking about buying:

Brewing Starter Kit w/Better Bottle :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

They also have an upgrade to get the PET carboy w/ a spigot...thoughts?

I have also seen this product and wanted to know what anybody thinks about it's design as a secondary fermenter as an alternative to PET carboy:

http://www.brewsterbrown.com/the-brewster.html

Forgive my naivete, as I said, I am just researching what would be a good starter kit. Advice or know of any better options I would appreciate help!

My local supplier doesn't seem interested in teaching/talking to me about possible options, just selling the kit he has in his store...

You do not "need" a secondary fermenter. You can leave it in the primary for 3 weeks easily without any issues, if you follow the 1,2,3 method. You will probably "want" a secondary so that you can rack from the primary to the secondary to free up a vessel, so you can brew another batch. There are advantages and disadvantages to a PET carboy. There are many threads discussing all of the pros and cons. The spigot is a handy feature to have but is not something that is necessary.

You can never have too much equipment (IMO) If you get that setup you can always use your 'secondary' vessel as another primary. ;)

Most people secondary their beers when doing things like fruit additions and such. Its always nice to have it if you need it or decide that you want to secondary your beer anyway. I personally dont, I just leave it in the primary for at least a month, then bottle (and soon to be) keg.
-Me

From one n00b to another: Use a transparent fermenter -- you won't want to miss the show for anything! If you think you really have the bug, then figure on a secondary fementer so you can clear out the primary and get batch no. 2 underway asap. That's my $0.02 anyway, now I'm fixin' to tackle my first-ever bottling session.

My theory is that my primary fementer is a 6.5 gallon job, carboy 5 gallon; primary sports plenty of headspace to avoid blowouts, going to secondary clarifies the brew and reduces headspace. Plus gives me something to fiddle with... Comments, anyone?

Thanks for the input...i guess even if I don't use the secondary fermenter, I can use it to move along batch production...

Good luck bottling!

I had a set up for Wine, it came with a Primary (bucket) and Carboy (glass secondary).

I ended up buying another bucket so you can never have too many arround.

The secondary with the spigot... interesting.. but it might be a PITA to clean...

I'm just a Noobie here too, but I like haveing extras... Just wish I had an extra stopper when I needed one.... Grrrr

The price of the kit looks good though! for just over 100 clams you could get the kit and your first extract and steeping grain kit!!! NICE!!

I take it you have a couple large 3 gal pots arround the house so you can brew with.

Other wise take a look at the Kettle and Burner kits at Lowes or HDepot. They are on Sale this time of year! I got mine for 30% off!

They also have an upgrade to get the PET carboy w/ a spigot...thoughts?

I chose against the spigot when I got my better bottle only because I had a racking cane already and those little plastic parts are expensive! (10-20 bux!!!). I currently have an Ale Pale, Ale Pale bottling bucket, and a Better Bottle. The kit you are looking at seems like it has everything you need to get started minus bottles/caps. I don't remember if it said it had a caper as well.

My local supplier doesn't seem interested in teaching/talking to me about possible options, just selling the kit he has in his store...

Lame, and not worth your time and money. Look around and see if there is another HBS near by.

Back