How many tsp/tbs per Gallon of priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILurvTheWhiskey

Reaction score
I'm looking for an average formula that would let me know how many tablespoons, teaspoons or even cups of priming sugar per gallon (or ounce) of beer to be bulk (bucket) primed.

I suck at math and am getting ready to prime 1.8 gallons of a 'specialty (so hoppy it'll burn your mouth) beer'.

Thanks brothers.

I've batch primed 2 gallon batches with 1/3 cup of corn sugar, so I think a well packed 1/4 cup plus a tablespoon or two ought to suffice.

I don't have an exact formula for you, though. I weigh out my priming sugar, if you have a scale use 1.8 ounces, give or take depending on how much carbonation you want in the final product.

A good estimate is between 0.75 and 1 oz/gal. 3/4cup/5gal of corn sugar is around the ratio so you should be able to scale that to your batch once you find the conversions between tsp/tbls/cups.

Craig

I haven't double checked these weights, but needed the info also and this is what I found. A level tablespoon (15ml) of sugar is 16g and since a teaspoon (5ml) is a third of a tablespoon, a third of 16g would be 5.3g.
Based on CBBaron, .75-1 ounce per gallon ration I am going to use 1.5 Tablespoons for one gallon in a winter ale.

Latest posts

Back