chemical reaction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Am I screwing myself by double sanitizing? I'm sanitizing bottles with SanStar and then putting them in the oven for 60 + minutes at 200. John Palmer offers these as alternatives but I figure you can't get too sanitary. But then I wasn't thinking about possible chemical reactions using SanStar and putting those bottles in the oven. Some bottles still have SanStar bubbles in them.

You could also get a linear accelerator and irradiate your bottles too but using starsan is probably enough. :p

so i take this to mean that I am not causing any harm by baking Starsan into my bottles

Well lord knows what happens to the acid in starsan when it is heated, it could be altered when being heated....you might be poisoning yourself and your friends...

But seriously Starsan and Iodophor are WET CONTACT sanitizers, which means as long as the surface is wet any micro organism that touches it will be killed....if it is dry then any microbe landing in the bottle will de-sanitize the bottles...Same with heat sanitization..Unless you seal/cover the bottles immediately out of the oven, anything that gets in the neck of the bottle renders it no longer sanitized...

You really don't need to waste electricity or gas with baking bottles....just soak in sanitizer and fill them...a vinator or even a spray bottle makes short work of things.

Some people believe that repeated baking of the bottles makes them brittle and breakable as well...

But seriously Starsan and Iodophor are WET CONTACT sanitizers, which means as long as the surface is wet any micro organism that touches it will be killed....if it is dry then any microbe landing in the bottle will de-sanitize the bottles...Same with heat sanitization..Unless you seal/cover the bottles immediately out of the oven, anything that gets in the neck of the bottle renders it no longer sanitized...

You really don't need to waste electricity or gas with baking bottles....just soak in sanitizer and fill them...a vinator or even a spray bottle makes short work of things.

So if it kills everything then won't it kill the yeast in the beer as well? I'm new at this and know very little. Just trying to be cautious and very very sanitary. Till now I've been letting the sanitizer dry. But I do want to know how to do it right w/o taking extra time or unnecessary steps. Is it not necessary to let the wet sanitizer dry before introducing the beer for carbonation? Thinking back to my younger days we sanitized the meat department by using an idophor (or like iodine) and splashed the entire cutting room but left it over night and then next morning it was dry and fine to start working. But if I can proceed while wet after Sanstar, even better.

So if it kills everything then won't it kill the yeast in the beer as well? I'm new at this and know very little. Just trying to be cautious and very very sanitary. Till now I've been letting the sanitizer dry. But I do want to know how to do it right w/o taking extra time or unnecessary steps. Is it not necessary to let the wet sanitizer dry before introducing the beer for carbonation? Thinking back to my younger days we sanitized the meat department by using an idophor (or like iodine) and splashed the entire cutting room but left it over night and then next morning it was dry and fine to start working. But if I can proceed while wet after Sanstar, even better.

If it killed the yeast then more than likely we wouldn't be using it in our brewing, wet contact or other wise...:D

You mix your chosen sanitizer to the recommended dilution ration
Dunk, spray, or fill whatever you are sanitizing....after 30 seconds the microbes are dead, so drain and shake excess off, and use while still wet.

If it's starsan don't fear the foam and rack or bottle right onto any residual foam, it is neutralized and becomes yeast food.

Simple as that...

Mix,
Dunk
Shake
and use wet.

Back