Bubbles from auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
How can I prevent air bubbles from forming in my auto siphon. It bubbles where the cane meets the plastic hose. I have to force the hose on and then I clamp it on as well but it still gets an air bubble when racking it drives me nuts.

Is a carboy cap a better solution?

I think that is a common problem, both of the ones that I've had have cracked around the curve at the top. The cracks are hard to see but if you look close while racking you can see where the air is entering. You can use some silicone pushed all the way around the curve for a temporary fix

I always just give it a couple more pumps until it flows a solid stream. Of course this will only work if your hose clamp isn't leaking.

I've noticed that, on the down stream side, where ever rigid plastic tubing has vinyl tubing stretched over it bubbles tend to form. I usually pinch off the vinyl and the bubble travels down and out.

I had the same problem. I just pushed more tubing onto the can and they stopped. How far on the can does your tubing go? Try pushing it on further.

RichBrewer said:
I've noticed that, on the down stream side, where ever rigid plastic tubing has vinyl tubing stretched over it bubbles tend to form. I usually pinch off the vinyl and the bubble travels down and out.

+1 This works...

I use CIP Film, a light coating of it to prevent that from happening and to ease the removal of the hose from the cane. This also serves to stop the bubbles.

Gedvondur

I only get this initially, because there is trapped air where the cane meets the tubing.
simply pinch the tubing about 2" past the cane attachment, just enough to fill that airspace with beer.
then it'll be fine.

Thanks everyone for your respones!! I will try your methods next bottling day and hopefully it will help.

Back