Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, but we do have them. Plenty of them. There was a mis-fire on the emails about the stock status that looked past what we had in stock and thought we had to wait until the next shipment.
We will be shipping them out today. They are made in the USA, so we expect the supply chain to run smoothly. Have fun, they are pretty awesome!
Cheers- TJ

Any chance the manufacturer will be making shorter/wider ones? I was wanting to order a few but the height of these are too tall for my fermenter,

Cracking- never heard of that? What caused it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One on the way here. If it works out as well as I expect, I'll be ordering more. I miss the access of buckets but like the visibility of a clear fermenter.

Had trouble with the old Better Bottles cracking.

Cracking- never heard of that? What caused it?

Probably not reading the instructions and thus using inappropriate cleaning techniques. Possibly didn't set them on a tennis ball to mix/swirl and caused localized stresses that they caused lasting damage. Mine never had information/instructions in the package, which is a serious oversight, but it's all there on the Better Bottle web site.

Probably not reading the instructions and thus using inappropriate cleaning techniques. Possibly didn't set them on a tennis ball to mix/swirl and caused localized stresses that they caused lasting damage. Mine never had information/instructions in the package, which is a serious oversight, but it's all there on the Better Bottle web site.

Tennis ball? Please explain

what is the point?

Agreed. Other than being able to watch fermentation (that novelty wore off for me 2-3 years ago) what's the advantage over a bucket? If anything, buckets are still more practical. They are cheaper, easier to move (no need for additional straps, etc), as easy if not easier to clean, and stackable (take up less space).

Don't get me wrong... I'm not pro-glass only. I have carboys, buckets, better bottles and use them all. I just don't understand the advantage to this new fermentor, other that seeing inside.

I bought two 5-gallon carboys. I'll keep my buckets for primary. Had trouble with the old Better Bottles cracking. I'll take it slow with the new ones...
Weird. BB seem to want to crack when you put water that is well over 140 F into them or you treat them poorly. I've never heard of them just cracking.
Mine will be here Thursday :)
Darn you! I have to wait until Monday and I'm brewing tomorrow! Was hoping for this because I plan to add fruit after fermentation stops.
Agreed. Other than being able to watch fermentation (that novelty wore off for me 2-3 years ago) what's the advantage over a bucket? If anything, buckets are still more practical. They are cheaper, easier to move (no need for additional straps, etc), as easy if not easier to clean, and stackable (take up less space).

Don't get me wrong... I'm not pro-glass only. I have carboys, buckets, better bottles and use them all. I just don't understand the advantage to this new fermentor, other that seeing inside.

I do not consider the ability to see that the layer of krausen has dropped as a novelty in my brewing. While I get that I could just wait a few more days after fermentation seems to have stopped then open a bucket, I just like seeing that it has dropped. Nothing about being able to see my beer has been a novelty yet. I don't watch it ferment though, it's either in a swamp cooler or soon to be in a chamber.

As a starting point, I don't like glass carboys. However, I like being able to see if fermentation has started, when the krausen forms and drops and whether the krausen is going crazy and I need to add a blow off tube all without opening the fermenter/top of a bucket. I also like to be able to see when the beer has cleared enough to siphon into my keg and be able to see what I am siphoning and how close to the trub I am siphoning. On the other hand, I don't like dry hopping in a carboy because it makes siphoning a pain even with a bag over the end of the autosiphon. I'd much rather be able to dry hop in a bag in the fermenter which you can't do very easily with a narrow mouthed carboy. I also dry hop in a bag in the keg, but get nervous after a month that I am going to start getting off flavors. So this seems like the perfect solution for me. No glass; transparent; access through the small openings in the lid for taking gravity samples; wide mouth for dropping in and removing dry hop bags; wide mouth for easy cleaning. In addition, the second opening in the optional lid could be used for a thermowell to monitor internal wort temperatures while sill having an airlock or blow off tube in place. My only complaint: why did it take so long to come out with!

As a starting point, I don't like glass carboys. However, I like being able to see if fermentation has started, when the krausen forms and drops and whether the krausen is going crazy and I need to add a blow off tube all without opening the fermenter/top of a bucket. I also like to be able to see when the beer has cleared enough to siphon into my keg and be able to see what I am siphoning and how close to the trub I am siphoning. On the other hand, I don't like dry hopping in a carboy because it makes siphoning a pain even with a bag over the end of the autosiphon. I'd much rather be able to dry hop in a bag in the fermenter which you can't do very easily with a narrow mouthed carboy. I also dry hop in a bag in the keg, but get nervous after a month that I am going to start getting off flavors. So this seems like the perfect solution for me. No glass; transparent; access through the small openings in the lid for taking gravity samples; wide mouth for dropping in and removing dry hop bags; wide mouth for easy cleaning. In addition, the second opening in the optional lid could be used for a thermowell to monitor internal wort temperatures while sill having an airlock or blow off tube in place. My only complaint: why did it take so long to come out with!

I guess you have some valid points. My SOP is to always use a blowoff tube to start. I don't worry about seeing krausen or not. I pitch and then check the airlock/blowoff bottle to see if fermentation is going. Then my beers all sit 2 to 3 weeks. I may adjust temperature after a few days, but I rarely feel the need to see what's going on. Sure, if using something I can see through, I may take a look here and there, but if using a bucket, I don't worry about it. I guess I have more of a set-it-and-forget-it mindset.

Those instructions came out when people started to have problems...

FYI my carboy brew hauler I got off Amazon for $8 will work just fine ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398380322.835198.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398380339.359246.jpg

Good to know - I didn't order the carriers because I have brew haulers.
$20 was crazy for that

FYI my carboy brew hauler I got off Amazon for $8 will work just fine View attachment 195353View attachment 195354

What's the dimensions of the big mouths? They look taller and skinner than the Better Bottles.

I see some negativity on these things from the bucket lovers. I don't know why as it's apples to apples imo. I can only fit 3 of my buckets in my "fermeezer" (temp controller chest freezer), but I can fit 4 Better Bottles in that same space. If I can get 5 or more of the Big Mouth plastic Bubblers in that space, then they are worth their price for me. Buckets are great but the huge top diameter of the lids are a space killer compared to carboys. These plastic Big Mouths look to give you the best of both worlds imo.

I ordered two earlier today. Looks like I won't be able to brew in the next week or so, so I should have these in ready to use on the next Brew Day. I'll post my thoughts on them.

I find my Spiedels to be the perfect fermentors. These look ok

I want Spiedels badly. I think they check all my boxes.

What's the dimensions of the big mouths? They look taller and skinner than the Better Bottles.

I see some negativity on these things from the bucket lovers. I don't know why as it's apples to apples imo. I can only fit 3 of my buckets in my "fermeezer" (temp controller chest freezer), but I can fit 4 Better Bottles in that same space. If I can get 5 or more of the Big Mouth plastic Bubblers in that space, then they are worth their price for me. Buckets are great but the huge top diameter of the lids are a space killer compared to carboys. These plastic Big Mouths look to give you the best of both worlds imo.

I ordered two earlier today. Looks like I won't be able to brew in the next week or so, so I should have these in ready to use on the next Brew Day. I'll post my thoughts on them.

They are narrow and tall. Fit inside a brew bucket to save some storage space. Keezer space also appeals to me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think I was one of the bucket lover negative ringleaders. Spiedel fermenters do make a lot of sense due to the size range. Since these are 5 gal, it's just an expensive bucket that is see through. I just done see the point in paying so much for a plastic 5 gallon fermenter. Paying more for glass, stainless etc makes sense, but plastic is plastic. If I'm gonna use plastic, I'll use some that blocks light and is cheap.

Got mine today. This is my first plastic fermentor but my only feedback is some areas of the plastic mold are more flexible then others. Maybe that is common with better bottles- so not sure it is a big deal.

Got my 6.5 plastic BMB yesterday from Northern Brewer. Looks good, but I'm gonna have to take the top with me to the LHBS so I can get a drilled stopper to fit it (too cheap to buy the one made specifically for this! :D)

Got mine today. This is my first plastic fermentor but my only feedback is some areas of the plastic mold are more flexible then others. Maybe that is common with better bottles- so not sure it is a big deal.

Mold typically won't grow unless you have an infection and in that case, you could be fermenting in a hexagon shaped bottle and it would not matter.

These have similar curves to a BB but they are more narrow and taller.
I simply can't wait to put something in mine. Saturday can't come quick enough.

Mold typically won't grow unless you have an infection and in that case, you could be fermenting in a hexagon shaped bottle and it would not matter.

These have similar curves to a BB but they are more narrow and taller.
I simply can't wait to put something in mine. Saturday can't come quick enough.

He's talking about the mold, not mold.

Latest posts

Back