Anyone know where I can find this fitting to turn my water filter into a beer filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
The picture below is from the MoreBeer beer filter. I already have the same filter and all the other parts except the Male Garden Hose to what looks like a 1/4" barb. Can't find it in my searches. Anyone have a source?

-Cheers

Capture.jpg

Wait - why would you actually want to put a garden hose fitting on a beer filter?

Cheers!

This is a good question. My guess is that it is a Pipe Thread fitting that is needed, not a garden hose fitting and barb. The reason that I say this is that the filter is designed to install in the home water system, which would probably require pipe thread fitting. I would go to Home Depot with the water filter and try different fittings to make sure that I got the right one. I think that you will find what you need.

Mark:mug:

Doh! I'll look for MPT (need to figure out that size) to 1/4" barb. I forgot I had adapters in place to hook my garden hose to the current setup. Thanks all for sanity check.

Filtering... do you folks do this speed up the process???

So far for me crash cooling it for a couple weeks seems to do the trick?

Even my "hefes" that I brew,,, if they sit to long in the Keezer become "crystals"...

Happy Brewing,

DPB

On rare occasions one of my beers won't clear, so I filter it. I also use the filter for blackberry cider.

I've got something similar for my water never consider using it to filter beer might need to make one.

I made one just like that and I think it was a 3/4 pipe fitting. This is almost exactly the same size as a garden hose fitting, but the threads are different. It is very easy to find at any hardware store. Just a 3/4 pipe male to 1/4" barb. You can even use nylon fittings that are only a few bucks.

I have a pair of water filter housings in series, first one with a pleated poly 50-micron filter, second with a ceramic 1-micron filter that's damned closed to sterile (80%+ filtration at 0.5 micron). Both are cleanable. Once the rest of my gear arrives I'll be doing a review, comparing filtration to fining.

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, filtration is unpopular due to 3 reasons. 1 - "it tastes worse", 2 - "it's not real beer", and 3 - "it's expensive". At the same time, there seems to be a consensus among those who have tried it that filtering drastically reduces the time their beer needs to be ready to drink.

I'm impatient; I'd prefer a minimal grain to glass time, especially now that I know how fast the commercial micro and macro breweries do it. A good starter, oxygenated wort, filtration, and a beerbug to monitor the fermentation should cut me from 4 weeks to about 2, max.

Back