Brew Clubs in Portland, OR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theveganbrewer

Reaction score
Are there any smaller brew clubs in the Portland area, or Beaverton, that are pretty active at the moment? I've seen a couple online that charge yearly memberships but that seems a bit serious for me. Anything less formal?

Disappointing. I figured there would be a bigger group scene here in Portland where I thought there were a ton of homebrewers. Maybe everyone does their own thing? I used to be in a nice little group that had small competitions, monthly group brews, group grain and hop buys, and did joint recipe tests. I hope over time to get some views here and maybe start a new club. For now, I have a couple posts up http://pdxbrewersclub.wordpress.com/ If there are views and interest, things can progress from there I guess.

My brew club is very active. We gather in SW Portland every Sunday and brew between 5-36 gallons. It's a small club. On average 4-6 people show up. The max I've seen is 10. Our club is called BoarFish. I would say on average we teach between 4-6 people a year how to brew. I'm the newest member and I've been there a little over a year. The core group of guys have been brewing together for 10+ years.

We have the typical 5 gallon set up that we use the majority of the time. The club also has a 1 bbl system that we use when we can all agree on a recipe that everyone wants to buy in on.

I lost track of this thread, glad some other responses came up. Sorry I never got back to you diaperload, been busy with the family and kids moving in here. I'm up and brewing finally.

theveganbrewer said:
I lost track of this thread, glad some other responses came up. Sorry I never got back to you diaperload, been busy with the family and kids moving in here. I'm up and brewing finally.

I just moved from Sw PDX to SE/clackamas area. I'm looking for some critique as I've hit a wall w my brewing and not getting the results I want and it is getting frustrating.

I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm on the West side. Mostly Tigard or Hillsboro and looking for a small homebrew club to join. I was also checking out http://pdxbrewersclub.wordpress.com/ club and thinking of going to their next meeting to check it out.
you should come check us out. we are all skill levels and pretty laid back people. plus some really awesome brewers. bring some homebrew and come taste some. hope to see you there.

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. There seems to be some interest in smaller type clubs.

The last few weeks we have had a larger than normal turn out and it makes brewing tougher when there are 10+ people.

Last weekend we did a 1bbl batch of Hazelnut Stout. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

If anybody would like to come check out our club please send me a PM. We are very informal about guests. With that said, I don't think I would be comfortable with just throwing out a blank invitation for 50 people to show up. I'm thinking if someone is interested he/she should PM me so we can set up a Sunday.

EDIT: I can't wait to buy a Hillboro Hops hat.

The Hillsboro Hops are the new single A minor league club. They are short season (not sure what that means) and an affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Hillsboro is constructing a new stadium for them.

I think they are filling the void that the Beavers used to fill since the Timbers ousted them from Portland.

I've heard that Milwaukie is also getting a new minor league team. Not sure of their new name or where they will play or where are they are from.

I doubt I'll attend any of the games but show me a baseball team with a hop as a mascot and I'll sure as heck buy one of the hats!

Back