CFC Directly into Glass Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 20' CFC. It's 3/8" OD tubing inside a 5/8" ID hose. All in all, it cost me under $30. I tested the water portion and it works fine. No leaks.

Would I be crazy to siphon directly into the glass carboy? Any input, bright ideas, or smartass remarks are appreciated... :)

Toot,

That's exactly what I do, with a minor exception. I drain the chilled wort through a fine (sanitized) sieve to filter out leaves, chunks and bits. I support the sieve in a funnel set into the carboy neck. I also rest a (sanitized) thermometer in the sieve, under the stream of wort to keep an eye on its temp. Works great, go for it.

I also aerate by injecting filtered air through a hypodermic needle inserted into the wort stream running through the tubing from the chiller to the carboy. Can't show any pics cuz I have none.

Oh.. aeration is noooo problem for me...

I got a medical grade O2 system with aeration stone. The O2 cannister sits about 3 1/2 feet high and about 6" in circumference. It's a medical system, some ridiculous PSI.... it'll last me till my hair turns grey....

Toot said:
How hot can it get before I'm in serious glass breakage range?

I'll have wort at 210, water flow at 55 or so... sound ok?

Well, I'd measure the temp of your wort on the output of your CFC, but you should be safe in a carboy well into the 130s at least. I expect your wort should be exiting your CFC in the 70s or lower.

RDWHHB

Toot said:
How hot can it get before I'm in serious glass breakage range?

I'll have wort at 210, water flow at 55 or so... sound ok?

Well if your CFC is working correctly (surely it shall) with 55f tap water you're probably going to be coming out at around 70. Perfect!

Thanks for the help!

I chickened out and decided to use one of my better bottles for this beer. I'll save the glass carboy for the Hefeweisen I'm making next. And good thing I did! I was over chilling my wort, down to about 60, so when the siphon got stuck, I just did a big messy pour of the last gallon and a half into the carboy. I'd say I lost about a half gallon of wort, but I still came out to about 5 gallons. But no way could I have dumped a gallon and a half of 200 degree wort through the neck of a glass carboy!

The CFC worked flawlessly for the first 4 gallons. Then the hot-side hose went limp and stretched and kinked and some air got in. Question:

What do you use for the hot side siphon tube? I have a SS racking cane, but the vinyl tubing can't take the heat.

Also, how do you all start and end the siphon? As I was getting ready to siphon, I realized that I couldn't stick an autosiphon in a kettle that hot, so I went back to the old fill-with-sanitizer trick. Any better way? What about restarting a stuck siphon? Any trick?

TIA!!!! :mug:

I cheat.. I pour my wort into a cornie through a strainer, then use co2 to push it through my cfc. Another strainer at the fermenter and Im set.

One of the bset investments I ever made was getting a spiggot and false bottom for the kettle. No need to syphon.

Home Depot sells plastic tubing that is rated for hot water. The tubing is thick, and reinforced with nylon. Stands up to boiling water fine.

-a.

Back