Acceptable Time Lag between Bottling and Washing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmerg

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question: My co-brewer and I been fastidious about lot's of stuff, but we've been slow after bottling to wash the yeast. Right now, we've got a yeast cake (WLP 001) in an otherwise empty, airlocked carboy in a refrigerator for 6 days now. Can this yeast still be washed? Is it acceptable to postpone yeast washing? If so, for how long? What's the best way to keep the cake viable?

Thanks in advance.

The BEST way to keep the "cake" viable is to have a bunch of fermenting wort on top of it.

I wouldn't hesitate using your 6 day old yeast that was kept in a fridge.

I have re-used unwashed yeast that was stored in jars in the fridge after 4 months.

I have re-used washed yeast after 2 years with good results.

I don't know how long you can keep yeast viable in any of these situations because I've never had a yeast fail, ever.

I have stopped buying yeast all together unless it is to test my locally collected yeast against. That is another story. Yeast is a great survivor and warrior, it will survive in spite of us.

Back