Bits of cork in my wine. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowamushi

Reaction score
So I bottled my mullberry wine yesterday and today I was attaching those pvc shrinky caps to make the bottles look nicer and I noticed there were bits of cork floating around in 5 out of the 18 bottles I made. I had to steam the corks which were first quality #8, 1 3/4 corks, in order to soften them up so I could actually cork the bottles, I tried without steaming and my hand corker kept failing on me.

So my question is what should I do about these 5 bottles? Should I take the corks out, fish out the bits of cork and recork? Should I throw them out? Or should I just drink them sooner rather than later?

Well, the corks shouldn't be steamed or otherwise heated. I bet that is why they fell apart. Just leave them be, I guess, or remove the corks and recork with untreated corks. I use #9 corks, which are bigger, so your #8 corks are pretty small.

Dont' use the PVC shrink wrap, until you're ready to give the bottles away. You want to see the corks, to make sure they aren't poking out or failing.

Well, the corks shouldn't be steamed or otherwise heated. I bet that is why they fell apart. Just leave them be, I guess, or remove the corks and recork with untreated corks. I use #9 corks, which are bigger, so your #8 corks are pretty small.

Dont' use the PVC shrink wrap, until you're ready to give the bottles away. You want to see the corks, to make sure they aren't poking out or failing.

Well thanks for the help. I can't recork with untreated corks since my corker comes apart(threads failed but didn't really break) when I try to use the #8 corks untreated but worked fine after I steamed them to soften them up. Sounds like I might need to just get a new corker.

Back