Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
I just recently switched from extract partial mash brewing to all-grain back in the beginning of summer. At first we were having trouble hitting our volumes for mash/sparge and post boil to retain 5.5gal to put into the fermentor for primary. Well, we finally solved that problem but our volume still seems to be really low (on our lager we pitched yeast in 5.5gal of wort) After one siphon we are down to 3.75-4.25gal. Where did it all go, and how do I brew to get 5gal of beer into my bottles or kegs after everything is said and done?

I have no idea where your beer is going. Hobbits maybe? Seriously, I have always pitched into 5.50 gallons of wort and usually I get right around 5 ghallons into my kegs. You're talking about losing over a gallon!?!?!? I think you need to check your 5 gallon marks on your carboys.

yeah this may be. I have no idea where all the loss is coming from either. Thanks for being helpful tho haha

Back