plastic water container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs60884

Reaction score
I am a newbie, and I was wondering if a 5 gal. water container would be okay for a primary. The palstic contianer is a #3 grade PVC water container.

PVC has pretty good barrier properties so you should be OK. That's what the better bottles are made of. You may have blow off problems with using a 5 gallon for a primary though.

Go Mountaineers!!! I spent 10 years in Boone / Blowing Rock... Finally had to move off the mountain.

Jimi

It's not really advised, and the volume isn't big enough anyways. You need at least 6 gallons for a primary if you are doing 5 gallon batches.

Well guys thank you very much for the quick responses, and the helpful information. I guess I will use my glass with brew and the plastic with my hard cider.

Boone is a great place. If I didn't go here for school I probably wouldn't be brewing right now.
I am fan of both Mountaineers APP State and WVU (big win last night)

cs60884 said:
Boone is a great place. If I didn't go here for school I probably wouldn't be brewing right now.
I am fan of both Mountaineers APP State and WVU (big win last night)

I went to UC Davis and would almost certainly never have brewed my own beer if it weren't for the Fermentation Sciences program there.

Latest posts

Back